1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I think we know the answer to this one.

doctorquant likes this.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Of course it's risk-based. If your group is older and sicker, you all pay more. But I was responding to a post that made it sound like life insurance.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you'd like a pre-existing-conditions version of stickin' it to the man, I got one from my days in a small business. In her early 20s my sister developed a condition known as keratoconus (the cornea becomes more and more cone-shaped and it screws your vision up to the point that glasses or contacts won't work). The only treatment, when it gets bad enough, is a cornea transplant. She had it both eyes, one further along than the other but both eyes gradually going bad. So the insurance my father and I had through our business paid for the first one. The very next year, the "group" our business was in was reconfigured, conveniently with us the only business in it. Naturally, the rates shot up so we had to do a new plan. This plan included a rider on her eye ... they clearly weren't interested in paying for another cornea transplant. But they screwed up ... they wrote the rider to exclude the eye she'd already had fixed! In she goes for another one.

UPChip, bigpern23, YankeeFan and 3 others like this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Umm, no.

List of federal judges appointed by Donald Trump - Wikipedia

He certainly will have an opportunity to load up the courts, but he's moving at a comically slow pace so far, thank God.

He also hasn't moved to fill any of the U.S. attorney posts to lead their districts nationwide, although a friend working at the local office seems to think they're waiting to release a bunch of names at once rather than propose them as soon as they get picked and get cleared. Maybe that's his strategy for the bench too, flood the system with names and figure a lot will seep through even if there are inevitably a couple of high-profile disasters that grab the spotlight. But so far, barely a peep.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Welp, it has to be pretty obvious that if this line of thought is followed very far, pretty quickly we get to the point where we decide every individual should pay only for the medical procedures they themselves need -- no more, no less.

Ultimate rugged self-reliance. I'm a male in my fifties; why the hell should my medical costs include allowances for OB/Gyn Care or any of that icky feeemale stuff? I ain't never gonna catch measles or any silly kiddie diseases, what do I care about pediatrics?

Hell. I saw a doctor a grand total of about three times from 1976 to 1996. I was paying some healthcare premium costs out of my paychecks, where the hell was that money going?

The whole Righty fixation on bootstraps, self reliance and Suck It Up Buttercup destroys the entire concept of insurance, and of the common good.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Hero.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  7. Starman

No, just Not-A-Selfish-Prick.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Your posts do suggest you are quite the humanitarian.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  9. Starman

Hey, it's a Muscular Liberalism.

The Kumbayah flower child Daisy picking approach seems ineffective.

10. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Deep thoughts.

11. doctorquant

I think you must have been doing some string theory riffs when that whole "concept of insurance" thingy was discussed. Because it's pretty obvious you don't have the first fucking clue what you're talking about.

12. doctorquant

Hey, they look pretty good compared to some others 'round here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.