1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

How often does a non-white male post on this thread?

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The bikini team!

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Court watchers are anticipating a press conference soon where Trump announces a big batch of nominations all at once.

While most presidents have done them one, two or a few at a time as the nominations are ready, G.W. Bush's practice was to do them in batches. I've seen several articles referencing that as an explanation as to why he's only nominated one judge for the 120 or so lower court vacancies.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Rose Garden recap: "Trump got carried away and grabbed a pussy ... Paul Ryan!"

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Businesses declare bankruptcy daily.

Are you a libertarian?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Here's the tweet that @QYFW posted, but that Kurt later deleted.

[​IMG]

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Quit confusing "businesses" with "the market."

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

If You Get Killed by Trumpcare, This Company
    Will Mail Your Remains to Paul Ryan

A new website will send your cremated remains to Republicans in Congress if the American Healthcare Act (AHCA) — also known as “Trumpcare” — kills you by discontinuing your coverage or denying you access to medications, surgery or other treatments. ...

Users of the website have the option of writing a custom message about how and why they died as a result of Trumpcare, but there are also pre-written messages like, “My combat tour in Iraq resulted in enough disability to make me uninsurable, but not enough to get all my healthcare through the VA. You killed me, you prick” and “Because you took away my f*cking insurance.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/a-n...op-rep-of-your-choice-if-trumpcare-kills-you/

9. YankeeFan

Hopefully they'll figure this out in another generation or two.

The city’s high school admissions process was supposed to give every student a real chance to attend a good school. But 14 years in, it has not delivered.

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

It depends what you're asking it to do. If I'm asking it to be the most efficent, a market is probably better. But that only speaks to efficiency, not outcome. It's probably more financially efficent for someone to get hit by a bus at 55 than lose a 10-month battle with cancer at 75. But we don't really want more people getting hit by buses at retirement age.

It also asks the question, what is a "market"? What they are is set by all sorts of things, pre-existing structures, laws, rules, regulation. Structures of contracts and tortes matter even in the least regulated market. Some are anti-competitive. Some have high barriers to entry. They come with all sorts of quirks. In the end, they bring you to the most efficent outcome, but efficiency only matters to a degree (if your company pays 10 employee $17,000 a year and the CEO takes home a million as what's left, it's more efficent than if everyone takes home $50,000 and the CEO gets a half million, but I don't think you want the first one).

The follow up question would be, what market exactly? There isn't a market for health care. We have a system where care is tied to insurance, which isn't an ideal structure for 1. Chronic issues, 2. Regular care, 3. Being old. So that's inefficient. What's more, the whole insurance system is held up by government subsidy, and even if you had a freer market, it's one that would be plagued with numerous problems because consumers are both irrational and get their information from those selling them the product. So to trust a market would be to trust something that really hasn't existed in modern society.

And the last question is, do we actually want a market? Much of health care will always be high-demand. But no one is like, "Yeah, I understand why I should play gobs and gobs of money so my sick kid/wife can live, I do really want this." (In some ways, the "death panels" were in fact an efficent market, deciding when care was too pricy. Perhaps it government angle got folks so incensed, but if the market says it's better if grandma goes, is it much different)

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. YankeeFan

Such a beautiful love story. Topped, perhaps, in the minds of French women only by the story of the future president of France and his soon-to-be First Lady.

Yet the gossip column cemetery is chock-a-block with killed stories about Joe & Mika’s alleged off-air intimacies.

In one such case in November 2013, shortly after Scarborough’s divorce from his second wife was finalized (and three years before Brzezinski’s official split from her own spouse), The New York Post’s Richard Johnson was preparing to declare them an item.

According to sources familiar with the situation, a distraught Brzezinski reached out to then-Fox News CEO Roger Ailes —like Johnson, a vassal in the Murdoch media empire—and tearfully asked Ailes, with whom she was friendly, to intervene with the gossip columnist, arguing that their respective children would be hurt by such publicity.

Ailes made his pitch to Johnson on Brzezinski’s behalf, and the columnist obligingly stood down.

The next day, the sources said, Johnson was rewarded when Scarborough phoned him and gave him the juicy scoop that Alec Baldwin was about to be fired from his short-lived MSNBC program.

Not only did everybody win (with the possible exception of Alec Baldwin), the outcome suggested that Joe & Mika have a virtuosic mastery of the power grid—and know precisely which buttons to push.

How Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski Kept Their Relationship Secret for So Long

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.