1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Fortunately, I don't run into many. But there are a few and they love their guy still, maybe more. As someone noted above, how many of our Trumpians here have said they regret their vote? Pretty sure it is none. I have Facebook friends who voted for him and to this day they're all YEAH DONALD. He could shit in their cereal and they'd be YEAH DONALD.

Those who hated him still do.
    Those who loved him still do.
    I've seen zero movement on either side.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Remember when Trump ran his mouth recently about the Canadian lumber and milk industries, just to gin up his base?

The Canucks decided enough is enough and have taken action. We've lost Peanuts, a national treasure:

Canada-based DHX Media Ltd. announced Wednesday it signed an agreement to buy the entertainment division of Iconix Brand Group Inc. in a $345 million deal that would include Iconix’s majority stake in the Peanuts and Strawberry Shortcake brands.

Canadian company buys majority stake in Peanuts brand

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The level of rage, anger and ugliness on the right is simply better-developed and thus worse than it is on the left. I don't write that as some dye-in-the-wool liberal, either. I write that as someone deeply saddened at what America's discourse - as dictated by Fox News, right-wing talk radio and right-wing blogs - has become.

The right is worse than the left. It's absolutely a value judgment, and, IMO, the correct. The right is more to blame. The right gave up Trump.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

To be fair, the books also made Hillary a commanding favorite.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Dude, you're on TV.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't forget one thing. Trump supporters start off as a minority. He needs to grow his support. He has lost it. Every poll, every one, shows that independents have lower support for him than in the election. It's the people who voted for Trump but didn't make a big deal of it, and what they think that's important.

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Disenfranchised, gerrymandering, the Russians!!

It's election night all over again.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This can't be forgotten. Trump's coalition had some weird spikes and dips, but in total it wasn't a bigger share of the vote than several recent Republican losers.

That said, if he wants to run again in 2020, it'll be harder. If he survives that long, he'll have been normalized and a lot of the McMuffin Republicans will be back on board.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The support Trump loses will be because he's deemed incompetent.

I think most people who voted for him are comfortable with him being an asshole, including some who didn't. In this America, being an asshole is a great strength of his. We respect villains more than conflicted protagonists.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He will get a primary challenge. It'll happen.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't want to predict 2020. I have said all along that (not just today) that I gave it maybe 50/50 odds that he finished one term. But there is no way he gets reelected if he makes it that far, barring the democrats somehow renominating Hilary Clinton, and even if that happened, I suspect she'd win next time around. You are going to see a field of about 750 governors, senators, congresspeople, etc. launching campaigns, because they are seeing the most beatable incumbent president ever. Trump's support amounts to maybe 30, 35 percent of the population. Something sickly low. And that support is predicated on populist blather, not any kind of conviction about anything. When those people's lives still suck, and someone else making shiny promises comes along, none of those people in the Rust Belt have any reason to love Donald Trump. They know he is a bullshit artist and a jerk. They were never for Trump because of some inherent love for HIM. They were AGAINST more of the same and latched onto him as a giant FU.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I did a lot of overhead presses during the break. And be careful what you assume about that break, particularly as regards whether it was voluntary or not.

SpeedTchr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.