1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Provocative. Click bait.
    My questions/issues:
    1) Author loses credibility when calling Comey firing "unconstitutional." It is perfectly legal.
    2) It's a blog asking for money.
    3) Is it irregular for president pro tem of Senate to receive briefings? Seems to me you'd want to do that regularly.
    4) If the Ryan claim is plausible, why has nobody picked up on it?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If Trump, Pence and Ryan all go down with the ship, I believe Hatch is up next in the Oval Office.

As much as we may fear a Pence presidency (frankly, the only thing that could be worse that that or what we have now is a Cruz presidency), the question should be, can we survive four years of a Trump presidency after these last 100+ days? I don't think so. As much as he wants to "drain the swamp," it's just not built to be an authoritarian state, which is what he wants.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think it's nice of CD Boogie to scare Orrin Hatch like that. He's over 80, he can't take many shocks.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Let's create a starting rotation of SJ.com people to be President for 100 days each.

Starman
    o_t
    Moddy
    DW
    YF

QYFW serves as VP for all five of them

QYFW likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That reminds me, one thing I'd LOVE to see is a campaign where the presidential candidate and his running mate are from opposing parties. Wanna talk bipartisan? Here's my money.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One of the "parties" is obsessed with the principle that government does not, can not and should not work. And should be prevented from working.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He punted on the public option not on third down, but before he even came out of the locker room.

In hopes "Moderate Republicans" would appreciate his conciliatory nature.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Was that last bit intended to ensure the safety of the five 100-day presidents? :)

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One thing I do see is that the pressure to be "bipartisan" is almost exclusively aimed at Republicans. If Chuck Schumer takes a hard stand on something or flat-out refuses to work with Trump unless he adopts a left-leaning platform, he's portrayed as fighting the good fight no matter what the issue is. When Paul Ryan does the same thing, the narrative is that he's trying to kill everyone and salt the earth.
    Maybe it's just the Democrats trying to pull the same thing the Republicans did with Obama. At some point, however, someone has to be the bigger person and figure out how to at least get basic things done. I'm not sure any of the people in leadership positions right now are capable or willing to do that.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It's fun how Republicans now think Democrats should be the bigger man and reach apart the aisle and Democrats suddenly aren't for bipartisanship any more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.