1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, are you assuming that WaPo is making it up or something? If you were a betting man would you bet that Trump did reveal classified info or that he didn't?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Of course he did. Story has been confirmed by Times, Reuters and Buzzfeed. We are now seeing there are no limits to the defense of Trump from his party. They are traitors, period. They won't like hearing that, anymore than they liked hearing they supported racism. But both charges are true. Ignore the wails.

dixiehack and BadgerBeer like this.
  3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

As an occasional reminder, I'd like to reiterate that this president is a total fucking idiot.

heyabbott, BadgerBeer and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Washington Post, NY Times and now Jim Sciutto and Jake Tapper at CNN all have talked to government sources who have reiterated and confirmed the details in the original Washington Post story. I am sure there are others too, given that it appears that people either in that room, or with full knowledge of what happened, were concerned enough to feel a duty to get this out there. They are all news organizations with excellent track records when it comes to that kind of reporting -- they occasionally get stuff wrong, but on a story that incriminating, they typically have multiple sources corroborating information. When they each say that they have talked to credible sources with knowledge of what was discussed at that meeting, they earn the benefit of the doubt about their sources and their information, from me at least, and I think most people with the ability to reason.

Think about this timeline: 1) The Comey firing. All the bullshit from Trump's surrogates, before Trump finally said he did it because of the Russia investigation. Put aside all of the bullshit and lying before they could get a straight story together. 2) The very next day, he has the Russian foreign minister and the Russian ambassador (aka spy recruiter) in the oval office. When there was no need for it. ... And in fact, it was ill advised. But he was slapping backs with them, as he put it, as a personal favor to Putin. 3) Now we find out that he revealed classified information in a way that potentially puts people's safety at risk and is likely to scare away foreign intelligence agencies from sharing information with us.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It's just party. Two sides, no middle ground, no compromise, no greater good. There is nothing mutual about American politics anymore.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Why should there be any compromise? The "greater good" is getting rid of one of them.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, please. When did the Democrats give classified intelligence to the Russians from the Oval Office. One party is composed of horrible people with whom there can be no compromise and still be true to the idea of America.

8. typefitter

I'm not talking about right now, or not just right now. I'm talking about the last, what? Since Bill Clinton probably. Party over principle. If you're a Republican and you're a Trump supporter, even after all of this, it's because you like your party in power and nothing else matters to you. You'd rather have a dangerous Republican in office than a sane Democrat. I don't know where you go from there. I don't see the fix.

dixiehack, Inky_Wretch and HanSenSE like this.
  9. typefitter

Guys, I hate Trump as much as anybody.

10. typefitter

I'm on your side, Michael, but this post kind of illustrates my larger point.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Has to be. For sure.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

So, can there be a independent prosecutor now? Or is this still just no biggie for Mitch and Paul?

Oh, and can McCain and Graham do more than talk big and do nothing?

HanSenSE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.