1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strikeouts are killing baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, May 15, 2017.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'd probably go for 2-0.

It would mean managers would be damn sure before making mid-inning pitching changes, because your new pitcher would have to open up with a couple grooveballs right down the middle.
    It would also put an absolute end to one-batter situational pitching changes.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

LOOGY is one of the great acronyms though.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's one of ciscforkoke's lame attempts to engage the board. It doesn't really mean anything, but he desperately wants it to inspire the masses.

4. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Dick, highly doubt the avg time of game of his starts was 2:20. For me, would rather watch hard throwers, even those with bad control. Buehrle of course was a very good pitcher, just I like watching guys who throw hard.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Here are his first 18 starts one of the years I covered him:

1 - 2:46
    2 - 2:34
    3 - 2:36
    4 - 3:01
    5 - 2:43
    6 - 2:45
    7 - 3:01
    8 - 2:20
    9 - 2:34
    10 - 2:20
    11 - 2:14
    12 - 2:50
    13 - 2:57
    14 - 2:18
    15 - 3:02
    16 - 2:31
    17 - 2:04
    18 - 2:18

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Buehrle worked fast as hell. He's a legend among beat writers for getting us to the bar after the game in record time.

When he was with the White Sox, the joke was that if he pitched on Fireworks Night, everyone would have to wait around after the game was over for it to get dark.

I Should Coco and UPChip like this.
  9. typefitter

2:04! The sub-two hour baseball game is nearly as elusive as the sub-two hour marathon.

God love Mark Buehrle.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My experience suggests beat writers are far more apt to complain about the length of games than fans. I think this skews perception.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think fans necessarily process it that way, i.e. that the raw length of the game is bothersome. The problem is that the game drags because there is so much down time.

12. typefitter

This is possible. I was obsessed with time of game when I was on the beat, mostly because I had a deadline to hit. A guy would get beaned and be out cold on the dirt and I'd be like, GET UP YOU FAKER TIME'S A WASTIN'.

Draft saved Draft deleted