1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Philadelphia Lawyers

Maybe that will help.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Speaking of the McMasters newser: When I see the sound bite saying Trump may not know the source of the information he gave the Ruskies, all I can think is, "Is this the Sweden Tragedy all over again?"

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The site keeps crashing due to traffic load.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Man, in an article that mentions Philly so much, this graf was jarring to read.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So the intel Trump shared with Russia came from Israel? Lovely.

7. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

There should be more duels. Bravo could televise them.

Also, Aaron Burr is one of the bigger asshats in U.S. history. He probably would have struggled to defeat Hillary.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

It's YUGE I tell ya!

[​IMG]

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Sure. The flip side to that is, if you heard a Low-A ballplayer giving pointers to a major league player, you'd think: Where does that guy get off? Which is how I felt watching a student (who later washed out of a shitty site, because he wasn't good enough to work there) telling a Pulitzer winner how to do his job.

The reason "you never played the game" stings is because there is a little truth in it. I don't understand baseball as well as Mike Trout. I mean, that's just a fact. I know baseball, but I don't know it the way he knows it, and I think everyone would agree on that. Same goes for any profession, including writing. I see people all the time talking about how magazine writing works when they have no idea how magazine writing works. It's infuriating if you do know how it works.

cranberry likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

See, that kind of stuff doesn't bother me at all.

Best practice is to meet (and presumably defeat) the person's critique on the merits. If I wrote that Mike Trout is starting his hands in the wrong place, the most constructive response by Mike Trout would not be to bring up how I was the only player on my team to strike out against the Gary Roosevelt pitcher 22 years ago, and how I got cut as a senior a year later. It would be to explain why I'm wrong about where he locates his hands.

Anything else is just an ad hominem distraction.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Nobody 'round here knows as much as me, and I've got the paycheck to prove it.

YankeeFan, SpeedTchr and QYFW like this.
  12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This is correct. Every player who has ever said "you never played the game" should have instead explained why the observation was incorrect. I'm not being sarcastic. It would improve understanding and lessen bad feelings.

But when you're in a bad mood, or you're frustrated, or you've heard the same thing 1,000 times, "you never played the game" is easier and, in the short term, often more satisfying.

When I wrote the @daemon post, it was cathartic as hell. I blocked him on Twitter (which he bragged about on Twitter) and felt exorcized. Long term, it was not a good look for me and didn't do anything positive for anybody.

YankeeFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.