1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That was yesterday morning. In Trump time, that's like 2008. Comey has put Republicans in Congress in a real bind. If they subpoena his memos and have him testify under oath in public, everything's on the record and the former FBI director will have accused the President of obstruction of justice -- under oath. Not good. If they don't, then Comey is free to continue to disclose his memos to reporters at his own pace, while GOP congresspeople remain in the dark as to what's coming next. Not good either. Probably worse.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You'll probably get a few more Republicans tweeting or telling reporters they're "troubled."

That's it.

RickStain and Dick Whitman like this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Their choice. Their funeral. I doubt Comey led with his most incriminating memo.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Of course they aren't.

Last night, I threw it to my Facebook friends to see if any Trump supporters - and there are plenty of them - would change their vote were the election re-held today.

No takers.

(Caveats about small sample size, etc.)

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Hmm, it's almost like something big happened that turned voters off of Clinton late in the election cycle. I wonder if we could look back and figure out what that was. Maybe if we started a Google News search somewhere around Oct. 28, 2016, maybe then we could figure out why the polling could have changed so dramatically. o_O

Deskgrunt50 and service_gamer like this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Paul Ryan gave a hint to the spin for today - if Trump actually did do this, why didn't Comey do something right away!?!

Of course, if Comey alerted Sessions to it ...

7. bigpern23

Went to a bachelor party last weekend and on the train ride home, my buddy who was a big supporter of the President said he would take back his vote if he could. He's sickened by the guy. I asked him what the hell he expected out of this administration and his answer was that he thought an outsider in Washington would be able to change things for the better and he believed the President would help him by easing tax burdens and fixing health care.

I wanted to chuckle at the idea that this administration ever intended to help the middle class, but my buddy seemed pretty disappointed about the whole thing, so I didn't want to pile on.

I haven't polled my FB friends, but I have noticed that the previously vocal supporters of the President haven't mentioned politics at all in the past month or so.

8. Michael_ Gee

Sen. Tillis tweets he's OK, posts selfie from hospital.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'll take People I Can't Believe I Used to Respect for $1,000, Alex.

amraeder likes this.
  10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Why are you guys friends with such terrible people?

SpeedTchr and Dick Whitman like this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Other Republican Congresspeople have floated the defense that Trump was just joking. Of course, Comey stating he had witnesses leave the room makes that one difficult to pull off.

12. bigpern23

Simple answer to that, of course, is Comey was in position to ignore the "request" and continue the investigation unimpeded. Once he was removed, the President's attempts to impede the investigation became more than idle chatter.

The underlying answer from deep down in places you don't talk about at parties is that Comey kept one in the chamber, so to speak, for when he needed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.