1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He's going to be really disappointed because this plan still depends on the moral actions of a Congress put in power by white boomer angst, and they haven't the slightest intention of doing anything resembling that.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The longer the Republicans wait, the worse the next Trump-generated crisis will be, and the next will be worse after than and so on. He's not going to get any better, just worse.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Trump assumes – insists? – that laws will bend around him. His buffoonery doesn't know how to adapt.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

LongTimeListener and RickStain like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Worst president isn't the same as most unqualified, although we've got a hell of a contender to sweep the double. But Buchanan had a huge resume that indicated he at least had the potential to know what he was doing and navigate the White House. No serious, sane adult thought Trump was qualified. They voted him in through a combination of trolling and belief that his opponent was Jezebel reincarnated. Even if you want to play apologist for people that backed him in the general election (beyond my ability to empathize), I don't see how you can classify his primary voters as anything other than malignant dipshits.

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Point taken.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

R-Utah

Inky_Wretch and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

It doesn't matter how long Republicans stay with him. In a poll published on August 5, 1974, taken over the previous three days, 60 percent of Republicans said Nixon shouldn't resign. He left Aug. 8. If the rest of the electorate (29 percent of adults self-identified in latest Gallup poll, same as Democrats) thinks Trump must go, he will, or his defenders in Congress will go first.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No offense, but this doesn't really answer anything I wrote. It's a lot of harrumphs.

John Kasich can run my country. Ted Cruz - aka Lucifer in the flesh! aka Mr. "I don't know if sand can glow in the dark, but we're going to find out!" - is precisely the kind the government Pharisee we gotta root out.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Nixon faced a Democratic Congress and a different electorate.

I saw a better parallel made than Watergate: Iran-Contra. Lots and lots of investigations, party lines digging in, no real consequences.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh for God's sake. August 5 was when the smoking-gun tape was released. Stunning that public opinion might shift dramatically in the three days after the release of that.

12. Michael_ Gee

One big difference with Iran-Contra is timing. In 1987, Reagan was already a lame duck. People knew he'd be gone in a year. Trump's been in office four months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.