1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Man, fuck those guys."

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There the media goes, taking Trump literally again.

3. Inky_Wretch

For all the whining on here the past couple of days, I've not seen anybody call for the people who outed me to be banned. And that happened on this board - not Twitter.

But that's OK. I'd happily meet you and buy you a beer or tea or coffee from one of YF's machines.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As I was trying to explain to Herman Melville yesterday, it's what you say, not where you work, that matters to me.

doctorquant and QYFW like this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Former FBI director Robert Mueller is being appointed special counsel over Russia investigation.

HanSenSE and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

All y'all need to get a room.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

9. Neutral Corner

I think that was a smart play and about as non-controversial choice as could have been made. DAG Rosenstein helped his reputation as well, I'd think.

10. Neutral Corner

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thanks. No, I don't typically trade equities. I thought about shorting a few S&P e-mini futures when the selling started last night, with a tight tailing stop, but I didn't -- I wouldn't have been able to pay attention to it with my open positions, and it would have just been gambling.

I have been short U.S. dollar, long Japanese yen, so I had a very good day. There weren't swings, as much as a lot of people who were sitting on one of side of the boat who have gotten caught offside the past few days. I was positioned well into what turned into panic selling and panic buying today, and I am about to take some profits in Asian trading on the follow through.

As an aside, I have never seen the Euro this overbought. I was watching it within these things called "Keltner channels," which is a technical indicator that places moving bands around the daily prices. I have it set at +/- 2.5 times the 20-day exponential moving average daily range, centered around a 20-period exponential moving average. It's hard to explain something like that to someone without a background, but simplistically, when the price touches the high or low band, it means very oversold or overbought conditions. The Euro/dollar reached overbought levels on a daily basis yesterday, just touching the top band. Usually it backs off immediately and you can expect it to revert toward the mean -- even in trending markets (and it has been trending) it will take a pause and back off a bit. Today, it blew through the top band (beyond anything I have ever seen) with all of the crowded trades unwinding and the dollar selling off. I am really not sure what to make of it. I have never seen it get that far outside of its channels. It has run away and is several standard deviations beyond where it should be. I'll be damned if I will fade it right now, though. If you tried that today, it would have been like trying to catch a falling knife (in reverse).

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You make that sound like a bad thing ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.