1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This all goes back to my question just a few weeks into the campaign, when I wondered on here whether Trump would lose a tick of support if he shouted from the stage that you can "blame this country's problems on niggers."

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's not quite the question that was being asked (as I took it). What I thought was being asked was whether his supporters were swayable. I mean, LBJ about coughed up his liver when Cronkite did his thing, because he knew a big chunk of his working support was suddenly at risk. Trump's true believers ... I think they're indigestible. They are not going to be influenced by anyone other than Trump (at this point).

If Sean Hannity turned on Trump right now ... if he did a Whittaker Chambers to Trump's Alger Hiss ... I don't think Trump would lose a smidgen of his support. If Trump announced tomorrow that he'd had a complete change of heart and that what we need is more immigration from Muslim-majority countries, his supporters would fall right into line. We need Trump as President because we need Trump as President.

I think he's very, very dangerous in this regard, but I don't think he's unprecedented. The President-as-cult-leader didn't just happen in January.

QYFW likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

No, you've got it right. They aren't the same question. They are evolutionary cousins.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's really hard to press the case that Republicans are going to be brought down by Trump if they win Georgia and Montana, which seems likely.

5. Dick Whitman

As I mentioned a couple pages up, I recall a president who was running a citizen mass surveillance program under the umbrella of the NSA.

And I recall a lot of people looking up from their avocado toast and prestige cable dramas to defend him.

YankeeFan and QYFW like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Democrats at the top are shooting for six wins and a wristwatch from the Independence Bowl because they think it's the best they can do.

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Mine was more of an underhanded comment at the whole "notwithstanding clause" nonsense in Canada, which is that constitutional protections mean nothing when "democratic processes" are at work.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Trump is the wrong person at the right time.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Right, and trump won and he didn't win because he campaigned on the promise that he'll be as unethical and treasonous as his predecessor and opponent, but for his side. Fox and by extension, the alt. right, the conservative base, the GOP establishment and republicans, are all about equivalency. Oh look, Hillary did it too. Oh look, Obama did it, too. Oh look, Franklin Pierce lied. So the implicit confession by the conservative/alt right is that there is no difference between democrats and republicans, its all about accumulation of power to redistribute the income of salaried workers to their supporters..

we all knew that he'd drain the swamp and replace it with nuclear waste dump

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Obama, Hillary, Chelsea, Bill, Hillary's emails, Benghazi, and what else?

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Obamacare death panels. no more private ownership of handguns. Abortions on demand at all public schools. Women priests. MooseLambs on the Supreme Court.

poindexter likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did you read the post you quoted?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.