1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

First step.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wilbur Ross is a moron. I am listening to him being interviewed right now, and he was trying to say that Saudi Arabia is liberalizing and the people are happy there. He actually just said (paraphrasing), "And the whole time I was there, I didn't see one protester! Not one person holding a placard."

To her credit, the interviewer said (again paraphrasing), "You know, that might not be because they don't have the feelings, but because they suppress dissent there."

BTW, I haven't looked at this thread or kept up since yesterday, so maybe it was covered, but did anyone see Wilbur sleeping during Trump's big speech?

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh yeah, the other out of touch remark that made me cringe. ... Wilbur was trying to point out how much better they are treating women there and he said something about how at one of the sessions he was at, the head of the Saudi stock exchange was there and it was a woman. He called her, "A rather attractive, bright young woman." And all I could think was if it was a man would anyone lead with him being a rather handsome guy?

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, go run some agate. You knew the fucking answer. Everybody did/does.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. But they might have walked out if they showed one of his movies.

6. doctorquant

Actually no, it's not. A graduation ceremony isn't "about them," not entirely.

7. doctorquant

It's not a good look for you, I must say.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's not a good look for this country, either, but that didn't stop us in November.

We saw how much intelligent, civil discourse means to this country when we had plenty of it during the primary debates but everyone cheered wildly for the guy who talked about his dick.

9. doctorquant

I'll repeat: You're better than "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The difference is I stand for something.

But I'm not going to engage people who don't want to engage aside from spewing rage and ignorance.

And I'm not going to feel bad when people are assholes to someone who sold his soul to unrepentant assholery.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He was not a "hateful jerk" at that place and time.

If you see him in the hospital where he is visiting a sick family member, are you going to curse him because of his policies? Or will you be polite and respectful?

Place and time mean something. To those who aren't rude.

I never said people "don't have the right" to be rude.

But rude is what they are being.

So you are wrong. As were the students.

Not if he's an invited guest to a non-political event.

If Chris Rock is speaking at Indiana University's graduating ceremony the same time that Mike Pence is speaking at Notre Dame's graduating ceremony, they are the same "events." The former is not a stand-up comedy event; the latter is not a political event.

Would it be rude for people who don't like Rock's style of humor to make a "statement" by walking out during his speech? Even though he used none of that humor during his speech? Of course it would.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    jr/shotglass likes this.
  12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Creosote has always been angry. He just goes through phases of which ideology he favors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.