1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

They sure didn't laugh at all those checks he wrote.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

See a doctor when your sneer boner lasts for more than four hours.

dixiehack likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Straight out of the conservative "Slaves were happy" playbook authored by such victim-heroes as Cliven Bundy.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The only legit criticisms I ever saw of Mitchell had to do with his conflict of interest given that he was a director for the Red Sox, and Ortiz and Ramirez weren't named in his report. But even people like John Dowd, who were highly critical of Mitchell for that, said after the investigation that Mitchell had done a good job. Mitchell may have done an incomplete job, although he was faced with a tough task. He was only as good as the evidence he could gather. But to say he embarrassed himself? I didn't see that.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So? That's a meaningless attack. It probably feels like it lands on an emotional level, but what does it *mean*?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fucko would never ever ever win the Dem nomination or come anywhere close. It. Could. Not. Happen.

The Dems purged out their unrepentant racists in the late 60s/early 70s. Forty years ago. It was made very clear (as LBJ famously lamented) that open racists either had to perform a public disavowal/ conversion/penance ceremony (as Byrd and George Wallace and others did), or get the hell out. (Which many did, to the benefit and delight of the GOP.)

Does this mean there are no (and have not been) any racists in the Democratic Party? Oh hell no, of course not. But it means you can't say it out loud, or you'll be cast out. AS WELL YOU SHOULD BE. You know, "political correctness" and all that shit?

That would have been the end of Fucko as a Dem.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm not a Democrat, YF. Fiercely independent. But since you asked, Trump would have been my fifth choice of the five. No question.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Don't know about that. I think he's just a doddering old fool. More and more as the years go on (and this predates him being Commerce Secretary).

I was curious to see if anyone else picked up on that interview and there are at least a dozen stories about it. Here are a few.

Wilbur Ross heartened by lack of protesters in Saudi Arabia
    Ross Gushes About Lack of Protesters, "Bad Placards" in Saudi
    Wilbur Ross surprised there were no protests in Saudi Arabia

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A. anyone who voted for Gary Johnson should be more embarrassed than anyone who voted for Trump.

B. Not really. If you're a Dem, and don't vote for your nominee, you're helping the Republican to win. Choose one or the other.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think Trump is an abomination and wouldn't have voted for him no matter what party he represented, but I will also say that the Republican nominees were universally shit. I remember back when it was 16 of them or whatever it was and I couldn't see any of them winning, even though one of them had to.

That being said, the nominees were shit because of the GOP's amoral drift toward loonies, anti-intellectuals, and evangelicals. Had the party not been such a shitshow, the nominees would have been better.

You can say what you want about the Democrats, but both Hillary and Sanders would have made basically competent presidents. You might not have liked them, but they wouldn't have been disastrous.

The Republican field was a clown car of morons and creeps.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That wasn't the question.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'd have said the same thing about the Republican primary until it happened. As would any sane observer.

Vombatus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.