1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strikeouts are killing baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, May 15, 2017.

1. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

High steal numbers raise a player's RAW.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Something has to change.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You think that's turning people away from baseball? Think it's more younger people are not playing it growing up and don't become fans. Lacrosse and soccer are becoming more popular. Maybe I'm a baseball apologist, but I still like watching it more than any sport.

6. Dick Whitman

I don't think people are consciously thinking, "There sure are a lot of strikeouts as compared to hits. This sucks."

But I think they try to watch, and it's just pitch after pitch after pitch after pitch where nothing happens. It's like watching tennis with nothing but aces.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I actually enjoy watching strikeouts. But Dick is also right, the ball has to be put in play for the greatest excitement, especially to a casual fan who is less inclined to watch baseball in general.

8. Dick Whitman

Sometimes I wonder how any spectator sports are going to survive, especially on television. There is so much people can actually do in 2017, and a lot of it is fast-paced. Who wants to watch other people run around? Sometimes I even ask myself why I am sitting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours on a nice day watching a baseball game or an auto race or a college football game.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Also enjoy watching strikeouts, especially when a guy is throwing high 90s. Grew up watching the Yankees and was amazed at Guidry and Gossage, still watch in awe at guys who overpower hitters. Think not playing baseball as a kid has a lot to do with it being less popular. There are more travel teams now, but overall seems like less kids are playing. I'm sure it varies in other parts of the country, but in NJ sports like lacrosse and soccer are growing. Thirty years ago lacrosse was played mostly by the parochial and private schools. Now almost every school has a team, boys and girls. Got a buddy in the next town, he's 32 and also a huge baseball fan. But other buddies his age mostly don't like baseball. He grew up in that town and in middle school the town league had 10 baseball teams. Now his stepson plays and the town has two teams and had to combine with four other towns.

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What, though?

11. Dick Whitman

It gets too serious, too fast, for one thing, and kids get frustrated. My son is 8, and this is his third season hitting live pitching. At age 8, I was still in T-ball. Some of those kids show up game after game after game just to strike out. I guess it helps the high school team down the road, because the good kids are getting experience early on. But for a lot of kids, it turns them off the game very young.

12. Dick Whitman

Deaden the balls. Lower the mound. Move the fences back.

Draft saved Draft deleted