1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In comparing the reaction to the violence against the two, I made no comparison between the merits of two people assaulted.

Why is that hard to understand? It has nothing to do with the victim. The violence is wrong in either case.

What I'm examining is the folks who react with glee in one case, but claim to be horrified in another. They either accept violence or they don't. And their glee in the former episode shows that the accept violence.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Was the violence of World War II wrong? How about as compared to the violence in Afghanistan or Iraq? Or the violence in Vietnam?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Is there any situations where you would accept violence?

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

What about "sucker punching" someone who was committing a rape?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Maybe the fear of getting sucker punched would be a good way to get people to start behaving with better manners in public.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A journalist is body-slammed suddenly and without warning by a man running for Congress.

Somehow, reaction of this event then prompts: Oh, but what did you think of an outspoken neo-Nazi getting punched by a random protester?

Then, a litmus test: If one is disgusted by a man running for Congress body slamming a reporter, then one must be retroactively disgusted by Spencer being punched and, if not, then the emotion about the reporter is hypocritical and insincere.

This is the very definition of trolling.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who doesn't like a loud mouthed bully taking a shot to the face?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And I mean it when I say: the responsibility is on others to ignore it. You want to be ensnared in a fool's errand, that's on you.

amraeder and RickStain like this.
  9. YankeeFan

Now who's not being serious?

10. YankeeFan

This is so fucking stupid.

"Maybe the fear of getting body slammed would be a good way to get reporters to start behaving with better manners."

See how easy that was? Gianforte's entire defense is precisely that the reporter was being rude by shoving a recording device in his face. Do you think that defense washes?

Meanwhile, Spencer was standing on a street corner -- I think giving an interview -- when he was sucker punched from the side. They guy's beliefs are repugnant, but I'm not sure his manners in public have been called into question.

11. YankeeFan

Who's asking for "retroactive" disgust to the punching of Spencer. We had people hear expressing glee in real time. This isn't a hypothetical. People were happy about it, and the people who expressed their happiness were not scolded.

Now, imagine someone here celebrating the reporter getting body slammed. Think that would pass without condemnation of that poster from multiple folks -- across the political spectrum?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Are there any situations where a guy getting popped in the mouth acceptable to you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.