1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's the only way he knows how to argue. Take it away from him and he has nothing.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The reporter did nothing do deserve it. Spencer has done plenty.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

cjericho and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

According to your stated belief, I'm not allowed to simultaneously think World War II was justified and Vietnam was not.

They're both violence, and violence is either wrong or right. Period.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I think I'd actually go farther than your description because being poor in many way linked to mindset, but more that it creates certian mindsets, which feeds back toward poverty. On the back end, I don't know that I'd be so charitable to Mr. Carson (showing my true colors I suppose)

I had roommates back in the day that sort of made me reassess the mindset that I'd had coming from relative privilege. Both worked on the lowest end of insurance sales, and would talk often about once they got a certian level of policies, they'd be on the way to being millionaires and get nice cars and stuff. But of course a million bucks wasn't something concrete you could imagine or scale, it was this soft idea. And then they'd get into these screaming matches over a $30 water bill that ended with someone calling family for a quick loan. And there was a lot of mindset tied in there. I think there was also a study done in Israel pointing to the extra stresses/unproductivity that come with poverty (i.e. having to plan around bad public transit or visiting a laundromat).

Now I hope Mr. Carson is cutting to the core of that. But I can't help but assume it's simply saying of people just change outlooks, they'll be less poor. It's a percription that turns blame back on folks. It really seems like more of a challenge of education/empathy. I could have pointed out my old roommates should stop taking out bad car loans or cheating on taxes to get by, but it would've taken a lot more than that to turn them (and they weren't actually all that poor, they just thought that way).

For fun, one once got a book about how millionaires think. She told me, "rich people and poor people think differently," not appreciating the irony. She also took out like seven library books at once, like an over excited child who just got a card.

RickStain likes this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Except when he publicly advocated for the ethnic cleansing of North America.

Or when he publicly supported abortion as birth control as a means of limiting Latino and black populations.

Or when he publicly said "freedom" and "democracy" are false ideals meant to distract from the inherent superiority of white Christian males.

But if he says those things nicely, it's all good.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Of course you're allowed to think that. But you're very foolish if you think there's a clear, compelling and universal ethical principle that takes you to that conclusion.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Let's make America great by hushing up alleged rape victims.

Baltimore attorney arrested for allegedly offering rape victim $3K to not testify, saying Trump will deport her

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You see him walking down the street, sipping on a cup of coffee, checking out the scenery. You're telling us we ought to be fine with you deciding to walk over and pop him one upside the head?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Advocating for Nazi politics is an inherently violent act.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people "deserve" it in one sense. But, I don't think we should lower ourselves to their level to deliver it.

Frankly, it's the same way I feel about the death penalty. Have some folks forfeited their right to live among us? I would say yes. But, I don't think it makes us better to execute them.

The same goes for prison violence. Am I going to get upset if some rapist gets beat up? Probably not, but I'm not going to celebrate it either.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.