1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah yeah, but there's a big difference in trying to trigger the apocalypse and not particularly caring if we do much (or anything) to slow it down.

Particularly in the areas of environmental protection and foreign/military policy. End-timers don't look at these subjects in the light of, "what can I do to make it a more livable world 60, 80, 100, 200 years down the road," because they don't expect the world to be around that long.

Education policy plays into this too. For much of the history of the U.S. it's been taken as a given a universally educated populace is a good thing for the society in the long run. If you believe society is going to end within your (adult) lifespan, who gives a shit about education? Let the unwashed hordes fight it out with the dogs.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I think Starman's right about where eschatology plays a big role. It's in things like global warming — not the nuclear codes — where it's disastrous. If you consider the world to be a 10,000-year old garden created only for man's plunder and that it's going to end at any second, you're not going to be too worried about screwing up the climate or using all the world's energy sources as fast as you can pump it out of the ground.

3. Starman

Uh well, I don't want anybody anywhere near the nuclear button who's thinking, "Well, maybe Jesus has decreed this is the day, woo hoo, I'm heading to Paradise and the 72 virgins!"

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I just don't think we're dealing with people like that in the Trump administration.

And in a nuclear war scenario, a nihilist is as dangerous as an end of doomsdayer.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I thought he was playing Sue Ann ...

6. Starman

No, in the Trump administration we're dealing with shitheads who think, "We got lots of big big nukes, let's make 'em go boom boom. Oooooooh, my weiner moved!!"

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Those churches are so crowded no one goes there anymore.

8. doctorquant

Meh ... it's rhetorical ploy. @Starman couldn't spell "eschaton" if you spotted him the "C" and the "T", and @RickStain does his hermeneutics under the guidance of his third-cousin (twice-and-a-half removed). For reasons which surpass understanding, however, we're to believe that their stock-in-trade is the quintessence of all that is rightward.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yeah. You know exactly what my background is. I didn't grow up in an apocalypse cult. I couldn't possibly understand them.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The words Mike Pence did not appear in my post

11. Starman

Uhhhhm, there are very very few words in the English language I can't spell. And please don't use intellectual rigor as a standard to defend the current administration of mouth-breathing morons, led by a fucking functional imbecile who is operating on about a third-grade level of mental performance.

I thought it was something in 1981, when I was 22, and I realized, "hot damn, I'm smarter than the President of the United States." A realization grade-school kids across the nation must deal with in our own day.

12. doctorquant

I agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.