1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must-visit awful U.S. cities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JohnHammond, May 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That looks like where they shot that scene in Superman II where Ursa arm-wrestles the rednecks.

2. albert777

albert777 Active Member

Ten pages in and no one has mentioned Memphis?

There are some great blues clubs and BBQ joints on Beale Street, and Mud Island is a nice little excursion, but the city as a whole is a crime-ridden dump.

Also, New Orleans, for all of its charm, has a lot of areas that are must-stay-away. Even the French Quarter has areas (generally the corners furthest from the river) that should be avoided.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Did a Tunica/Memphis extended weekend trip last December that was depressing as hell, and not just for the table games that were colder than the 0-degree wind chill outside.

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Hey, I'd go for the music.

5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

/@QYFW

dixiehack likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

New Orleans has really taken a nosedive in the last 6-7 years. Used to be you could at least feel reasonably safe in the touristy parts of the Quarter. Now the crime and violence is creeping in there, too. There's just an air of menace that wasn't there before. Last few times we've been there we barely even cared to wander around, especially after dark.

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Myrtle Beach...,millions flock there...no one knows why.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Amarillo ain't my cup of tea, but if you're going through there you gotta take a longhorn limo and go to the Big Texan Steak Ranch. Don't try the 72 oz. challenge, though. You're not gonna be able to do it.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Because of the Gay Dolphin, of course!

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Was there for JazzFest last year and you're spot on. The Quarter characters have upped (downed?) their game. I tried to spend most nights on Frenchman Street, bc down near Bourbon is just too touristy and pretty trashed up. Of course that whole hurricane thing in '05 didn't help the city's trajectory.

Batman likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm frankly amazed (and relieved) that wasn't demolished for a 30-story condo years ago.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I once turned my last $10 into $750 playing blackjack in Tunica when I was 21 back in the mid-90s. Fond memory. Otherwise that place is a shithole.

Draft saved Draft deleted