1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I understand that. I'm not criticizing him. He came back and clarified his testimony.

Fine. (Unlike Clapper, who really did lie, and did not attempt to clarify until his lie was exposed.)

But, the original testimony was false -- which says nothing of his motivations -- and he was savaged by Dems for it. And, there was no posturing that this criticism "should be offensive to all of America's public servants." That only happens when Trump criticizes him.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's surprising when politicians treat their side different than the other.

Next you're going to tell me that message board posters do that, too.

3. YankeeFan

Give me a break. He rejected the idea that his POW status made him untouchable for political criticism 40 years later, when McCain was in a political position, and engaged in a back-and-forth, public exchange with Trump.

4. Dick Whitman

LOL.

OK.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No, @YankeeFan ... Trump's criticism of McCain was loathesome.

6. YankeeFan

I'm fine with that. I understand it perfectly well.

What I object to is members of the media, or scholars like the one I quoted, who pretend to be above the political fray, weighing in only on political crimes of Republicans, in an effort to handcuff them.

Republicans fell for that in the past. Harry Reid was allowed to lie about Mitt Romney, and the media wasn't outraged, they were his accomplice in slandering Romney.

And, Republicans didn't fight back.

That's over now with Trump, and that's what outrages the media and the left the most.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You say that like I'm some huge ACA supporter.

Surely, you'd admit that instances like the one in your link highlight the pitfalls of an individual health-insurance market. Pitfalls like what I described in my previous post, perhaps.

8. YankeeFan

How he stated it was loathsome. And, he should have "clarified" it much sooner.

The broader point he made was correct though.

Trump -- and other Republicans -- can't be put in a position where they are unable to criticize their political opponents because the media has determined them to be off limits to political criticism.

9. doctorquant

Pitfalls of forcing healthcare into a health insurance regime? Sure.

10. YankeeFan

Headline: Republican adopts political tactics long employed be Democrats, Democrats outraged.

11. doctorquant

I think you're being overly generous in assuming that he had a broader point.

dixiehack likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

It is so, so, so, so, so great that you are the one who has to resort to this exact defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.