1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Link?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Your interpretation of this event and defense of Trump's comments must be performance art.

franticscribe likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is what kicked off the discussion:

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

He was out-of-bounds the moment these words -- "He’s not a war hero. He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured." -- came out of his mouth. And he was justly raked over the goals from both the left and right, from Democrats and Republicans, from challengers and bystanders.

Presidential candidates do a lot of pretty despicable things (e.g., Eisenhower knowingly letting McCarthy's slander of Marshall slide), but let's not pretend they're not despicable because they all do 'em.

Neutral Corner and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Um, not sure the 2008 election was referenced here:

Trump attacks McCain: 'I like people who weren't captured'

@YankeeFan, I admire deeply your principled stands on conservative tenets, but you're horribly losing this one. Might be time for a deflection.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Now I'm curious. YF, do you ever engage these people directly on Twitter with the criticisms you bring up here?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Spartan did the work for me. You accuse the guy of giving false testimony, then claim you haven't posted anything that would impugn his character. That was a blatant lie even for you.

Just like you want to make up some bullshit about a larger point to cover for Trump's personal attack on McCain's war record, you want to cover your lie about Comey by trying to carry the goalposts back to another attack on the media.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

A) Not media.
    2) One guy on Twitter ≠ "they."

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Comey scheduled to testify in committee on June 8. Open session in the morning, closed in the afternoon.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

He gave false testimony. Point out such is not necessarily impugning his character. Thus, not a lie.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't disagree.

He responded poorly, and defensively to Luntz. There was a way to make his point without disagreeing with the idea that McCain was a hero, or that the service of a POW is less than that of someone who was never captured.

It was bad. He should have apologized immediately, and publicly, and followed up with a private call to McCain.

But, he didn't set out to discredit McCain's service. He wasn't talking about his service. He fucked up royally when he went off script.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.