1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A. So there aren't any CEOs in favor of dumping it?

2. I'm just wondering who has his ear on this. He was suppose to be listening to business leaders to help them. Now this comes along, they say "Nope, we're good. Please don't do that" and he doesn't listen to them. Is this Bannon not wanting to cooperate with any other nations? Does Trump really think pulling out will bring back coal jobs? What's the logic behind getting out of it?

III. I don't care what Democrats and media look to as a measure of success.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

CEOs of big companies have to plan years ahead of time. Trump never plans. They were bound to conflict on this issue, and there will be others. They'll still donate their dough to Republicans, though. Tax cuts are the issue that really matters to them.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

April was revised down to 174K this morning. ... on the back of a miss on expectations for May (after a huge ADP number yesterday sent equities into panic buying again), a print of 138K.

But don't worry about it. ... The Federal Reserve said in their minutes from their last meeting last week (for the gazillionth time in the last 8 years) that all of the weak economic data recently is "transitory" (which has become their running euphamism for the depression they have put the economy into).

Meanwhile, the unemployment rate (i.e. -- the most useless number ever created) is down to 4.3 percent -- essentially full employment. This is how perverse things are. ... Their household survey reported that the number of employed people declined by 233K during the month. But the unemployment rate dropped, because using their backward methodology 608K people exited the labor force (i.e. - the labor force participation rate dropped again to 62.7 percent).

At this rate, it can't be more than two more decades before no one is actually working, and the BLS is reporting that the unemployment rate is 0.0 percent.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Donald Trump. They are fixated on him and I hope they maintain their focus.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

What specifically do you like about this accord? Anyone can answer.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It didn't require us to do much that we aren't doing anyhow. It didn't require us to spend a penny we don't want to. And the rest of the world wanted us on board, which creates a lot of goodwill for when it eventually comes to other things that the spirit of cooperation it bred could have made happen.

But other than the "almost no cost, lots of potential benefits," thing, there is absolutely nothing to like about it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"Lol look how mad it makes libtards"

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That's not very specific.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

"The spirit of cooperation." LOL.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dimms and globalists.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's the point, though. Working to do anything possible to minimize climate change will have winners and losers. Good for natural gas, bad for coal. There are businesses and industries who would be negatively affected, growth in alternative energy related companies, new industries spawned. How long do we subsidize the buggy whip industry?

To put it another way, if you were a big corporation who was planning to build a high dollar manufacturing plant, would you build it in Miami? New Orleans? The low lying areas in NY/NJ that Hurricane Sandy indicated were at risk? The changes that are happening are very real. I'm sure that land in Miami that floods regularly (and didn't twenty years ago) is really cheap, why not put it there?

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Perception is reality. The U.S. is formally ceding leadership in the growing and profitable green economy (along with several other corners of geopolitics where the Trump administration has abandoned) and leaves a vacuum the Chinese will gladly fill. But I'm sure the administration will have a ribbon-cutting ceremony at some propped-up coal mine, which will provide a symbolic lift -- but no paychecks -- for the beleaguered miners.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.