1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Looks like Starman and J. Paul Gee were right!

2. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is one of the things I just can't imagine: life without air conditioning.
    A high school football coach told me once that there are more cases of heat stroke in August football practices today because of air conditioning. Shock to the system etc. This guy was no expert, but I always wondered if this had merit.

4. tapintoamerica

Executive privilege, huh? History suggests this doesn't always work. Surely Nixon wanted to block his aides from testifying before the Watergate committee. ( I don't know if he attempted to invoke or if he even had the opportunity. ) But if Trump does this, why would it be wrong to wonder if he has something to hide?

5. tapintoamerica

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, it really won't. In spite of your delusions, Clinton isn't running again and Obama isn't going to stand in the way of the party.

7. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Ivanka's not immune to criticism; I just prefer it be fair and smart, with words I can show my teen and pre-teen nieces. Like this:
    Ivanka Trump’s Political Brand Is Dead

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If they remain politically active, put out statements regarding current events, take speaking gigs, and make themselves available for interviews, they will suck up the political oxygen.

Political fundraising for their organizations will IMPACT other political fundraising.

None of this debatable.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Nixon didn't have a constituency. He was a known commodity for 20 years in national politics and wasn't personally liked. He was respected by the party but not liked. Republicans were rational both politically and by policy. Trump is not a cult but he's not a rational political figure. The country's problem in the end is that trump has no self awareness. He truly believes he is the most qualified and intelligent person on the planet to be president. Not since FDR has someone so believed in themselves, but FDR had a reason to. And not because he was Einstein smart or believed himself to be but because he knew what he was doing and how to accomplish it. Trump is without a soul and without a heart and without a conscience.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Two things we know you are worried about: the Russia investigation and the 2020 election. You are desperate to throw dirt on them now, long before either is settled.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Despite Trump's shortsightedness, they have to continue to do business with the rest of the world.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, I have teen and pre-teen nieces too, and I would never ever allow them to view this site, either, for a wide variety of reasons, many having nothing whatsoever to do with me.

In fact there are a large number of sites on the internet I'd never let any of them view at all.

Just reading the paper every day or watching mainstream teevee is bad enough.

I read the papers in 1964, when I was 6, and I made up my mind on my own which candidate I thought was better. My parents didn't say "that guy is a crazy man" about either one.

They did favor one candidate over the other but they didn't walk around trying to drum it into me. They were actually pretty surprised that I knew what Goldwater had been saying about nuclear weapons.

I've never talked politics in front of my nieces-nephew except to say I think Trump's conduct is appalling on a variety of levels. Never said one word about Hillary pro or con. And that's it.

Unfortunately, they'll be the ones getting really screwed over by his policies for the next 70-80 years. A couple of them are just the right age to get marched off to whatever war Fucko blunders us ass first into, but we'll probably all die in the nuclear blasts before it gets to that point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.