1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

C'mon you two. You're giving me talking points, and repeating what others have said.

Be specific. Give me an example of wrongdoing.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Man, King really wanted these guys to come out and say "Yeah, Trump asked me to interfere in the FBI's investigation" in the open session.

3. YankeeFan

Even Eric Lipton has a hard time criticizing Eric Trump's fundraising.

The vast majority -- a greater percentage than most charities -- of the money raised went to St. Jude's.

[​IMG]

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It starts in the second graf of the story ...

The best part about all this, according to Eric Trump, is the charity's efficiency: Because he can get his family's golf course for free and have most of the other costs donated, virtually all the money contributed will go toward helping kids with cancer. "We get to use our assets 100% free of charge," Trump tells Forbes.

That's not the case. In reviewing filings from the Eric Trump Foundation and other charities, it's clear that the course wasn't free--that the Trump Organization received payments for its use, part of more than $1.2 million that has no documented recipients past the Trump Organization. Golf charity experts say the listed expenses defy any reasonable cost justification for a one-day golf tournament.

Additionally, the Donald J. Trump Foundation, which has come under previous scrutiny for self-dealing and advancing the interests of its namesake rather than those of charity, apparently used the Eric Trump Foundation to funnel $100,000 in donations into revenue for the Trump Organization.

And while donors to the Eric Trump Foundation were told their money was going to help sick kids, more than $500,000 was re-donated to other charities, many of which were connected to Trump family members or interests, including at least four groups that subsequently paid to hold golf tournaments at Trump courses.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Just because he ALSO raised money for charity doesn't mean he wasn't unethical, too.

How he reported to the IRS might also be illegal.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In suburban towns all over America, this is a common youth sports story. Treasurer skims off the top of funds that're raised, but not so much as to make others suspicious for some time. However, the reason we know about these stories is that they end in criminal court proceedings with said treasurer in deep deep trouble.

7. YankeeFan

This is typical, "look at all this smoke," reporting with no evidence of fire.

$1.2 million of expenses on $13-$16 million raised is good. Way better than most charities.

It's a hit job.

Compare it to some other charities, and let me know how it looks.

Hell, how's it compare to the WHCA? Or the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is so tremendous coming from you.

FileNotFound and dixiehack like this.
  9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I strongly suspect that your reasonable, clear, and cogent answer to YF's question will be ignored by its intended audience.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I love me some Angus King. I don't know if he wanted them to say, "Trump interfered," but he is 100 percent right. There is no reason why they can't answer questions honestly. Forget the fact that the legislature is an equal part of government to the executive. ... unless they are invoking executive privilege (for which there is none) or they are invoking their 5th Amendment rights, this shouldn't be difficult. Just say honestly what happened. The executive branch doesn't rule over us. It represents us. But this is what happens when you put in place this covert world in which these "intelligence" organizations are allowed to lord over us. Their hubris was on full display there.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The story isn't the percentage of expenses as compared to other charities. The story is the percentage of expenses as compared to the ZERO Eric Trump claimed they'd be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.