1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Do people really believe he might be impeached?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hard to know where jilted FBI director ended and James Comey private citizen began. I'm not nearly smart enough to pick up on what I bet were a ton of clues to be deciphered in private sessions.

Just seems like he left a pretty little trail of things that WILL come out.

Remember, Trump wasn't under investigation personally at the time ... doesn't mean he won't be soon.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Believe he might? Yes. Believe he will be? TBD

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Not a chance in hell it's going to happen.

amraeder likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No.

Today's GOP values party over principle. So they're OK with a "law and order president" leaning on the FBI director to drop an investigation into a comprised Mike Flynn.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'm still holding out hope for a Robert Durst situation where he mumbles his confession into a hot mic in a bathroom.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

1998 proved this.

Republicans feel that impeachment hurt them politically. As a result, there was nothing Obama could have done which would have caused them to initiate impeachment proceedings against him. (I'm not suggesting such proceedings were warranted.)

With Republicans in the majority, the only way we see impeachment is if they feel it will help them -- or at least lessen the hurt.

Even if Dems win the House in 2018, they'd be in the same position. Without some expectation of a conviction in the Senate, they'd have to decide if it would help or hurt them.

It's all politics. It's only politics. It has nothing to do with how deplorable the actions of the President are.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Agreed. A resignation is far, far more likely. How likely, I don't know. But far likelier than impeachment.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He already confessed to Lester Holt on prime time network television.

amraeder, Inky_Wretch and Hermes like this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If Congress flips in 2018, it might happen.

Until then, watch as Trump's poll numbers tickle the 20s. The GOP will close ranks and go down with the ship before they toss Trump overboard.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, of course not. But I was just clarifying the relevant political question here.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, this was all about finding out if he committed an offense that would be worthy of a process that will never be enacted?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.