1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It will further cripple the administration and further hinder its ability to carry out its agenda. I'm ok with that.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

People love political masturbation.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bold play by the Trumpistas - Comey is a liar, except when he says Trump wasn't personally being investigated. That's the God's Honest Truth, but otherwise he's lying liar.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No. It also has the honorable goal of figuring out what happened. But with regard to Trump's potential consequences, I am correcting you on the relevant framing.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I've been of the position that I don't want to see Trump impeached because I don't want to fathom what he could have done to force Republicans to finally break ranks. I doubt the Dems are retaking the House, so this will have to come from the Republicans.

It is interesting how much Nixon's resignation still resonates. It would have been interesting what Congress would have done with Iran Contra had Nixon not happened. And especially after Clinton's impeachment proceedings ended with the vote to remove him from office failing, it's going to really take a lot for someone to be removed by impeachment.

Again, I don't want to see how bad things have to get for politicians thinking they have no choice but to go for it.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is a lot potentially still left here. I know everyone loves the shiny object of the day. But Watergate broke in 1972. Nixon wasn't gone until 1974.

If you follow the stink here, and use common sense, Michael Flynn has the potential to be the James McCord character in all of this. The guy who flips. Trump's behavior suggests him trying to keep Flynn out of legal jeopardy. A reason for Trump to do that very well could be that if they can flip Flynn, amidst all the smoke we all see, there may be a raging fire, and Trump has to be afraid that Flynn will spill the beans on Trump to try to save himself.

Or maybe there isn't anything there, and all of the smoke is just smoke. But this is not done by a long shot.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is all correct. I'd say the line of questioning on Sessions and Comey's responses were kind of ominous for the administration, too.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Flynn will be served a polonium milkshake by the Russians long before he flips.

9. Inky_Wretch

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think it was NPR where I heard this, but it sounds like Flynn really wants to cut a deal to roll on Trump. It sounds like the FBI won't bite.

11. Inky_Wretch

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Trump hoped that Comey could see his way clear to let Flynn off the hook. When it became clear that Comey wasn't going to do that, he fired him, and publicly said that he fired him over the Russia investigation. In what world is this not obstruction?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.