1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Did Trump have two scoops of ice cream while Comey had one or none at their dinner?

It's fantastic Trump does that.

2. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

Comey didn't violate the Hatch Act. His decision regarding the releases stating the reopening (and subsequent closing) of the investigation about Hillary Clinton's e-mails was probably inappropriate and may have violated DOJ policy, but it didn't violate the Hatch Act.

He is no longer employed by the Federal Government. He didn't take an active part in partisan politics to campaign for or against anyone.

People who live in Washington, DC and the surrounding areas may participate in partisan political activity because they are exempt. If you excluded federal employees from those areas, there wouldn't be many people eligible to participate.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Take it up with @Starman ... I was yanking his chain with that one.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My dad exiting the Gerald Ford Presidential Museum: "I don't know who that museum was describing, but it wasn't Jerry Ford."

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

House chamber doesn't have desks. Plenty of idiots apparently think Sinn Fein MPs could keep the Tories from hanging onto power.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hey, hey, hey you can't expect a new administration filled with political newbs to know how D.C. operates.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sinn Fein has already said they won't take any seats they win. Longstanding policy.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Which is why I called those who think Sinn Fein could stop the Tories idiots.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gotcha, my misunderstanding. Sorry.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The House of Commons is where the term "back benchers" originates from.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And you just know it would be modeled after the Neil Kinnock museum.

UPChip, X-Hack, dixiehack and 2 others like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Josh Marshall:

"At the end of the day, I think it all confirmed what we should know. Huge and far ranging cover-ups don’t happen for no reason. Almost invariably they occur because of major wrongdoing. It’s the cover-up not the crime – as I’ve said, that’s almost always wrong. You cover up because you may get away with it and you can’t afford the crime to become fully known. Usually cover-ups work, at least in part. What I think we have here is some major wrongdoing, possibly of various different sorts. That is matched by a President who acts as though the government is something like his own possession, his own company. He acts like it. His lawyer talks like it. Whatever the nature of the original bad acts – which I am assuming occurred based on a lot of information but which we do not know with certainty – the President has managed to stumble into a massive scandal with almost unbelievable speed. As was really clear throughout the campaign, he is predatory, bad-acting and impulsive and even self-destructive in a way that compounds and in some respects makes less effective the underlying malignant behavior. He and his lawyer are in way over their heads and will cause untold damage before this is done, however it ends."

Thoughts on Comey's Testimony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.