1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

It means the Tories will form a government with the DUP [i.e. the Protestant party of northern Ireland.]

I just heard that May is going to resign this morning, which means a Tory party leadership contest and more time pissed away when the UK should be negotiating Brexit.

It also means more people will be bored about my boring story about interviewing Jeremy Corbyn three times when he was a backbencher back in the 2000s.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They do cut promos on each other.

Machine Head likes this.
  3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

There won't be a coalition. Tories would stay with a minority government. DUP would prop up the Tories. SNP doesn't want another election. Sinn Fein's sucesss helps the Tories.

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

So, they're like Jim Janos / Jesse Ventura, good on the mic, but they don't take bumps?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Pretty much. They're not good at doing jobs.

6. Machine Head

The bumps Adrian Adonis took for Jesse to come in and do his finishing move..

7. Machine Head

Folks need to look at what Janos did to win in Minnesota.

I'm surprised it took this long to reach the national stage.

I posted here in the last cycle I thought Bachmann would tap into it.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Oh come on. Like a friend told me last night, he probably just forgot meeting with the "husky" Russian ambassador the first, second and now third time. I mean Kislyak isn't memorable, right?

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Only takeaway from the British election that I think applies over here: In our age of ADD, instant-gratification everything, the voting public can change its mind on a dime, and no majority is safe. We may see waves of whiplash elections where new ideas and leaders are promoted into power then tossed away like used napkins the very next time.

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Dude thinks a coalition is going to happen.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This "Comey is a leaker" thing baffles me. Just because the attack plan now is to point a finger back and try to make it about Comey, the public doesn't lose all sense, does it? We live in a free and open society. Why is "Leaker!" a boogity, boogity thing all of a sudden? It conflates things. If we're talking about someone letting loose classified documents, maybe (and even in that case, I can see a "civil disobedience" rationale for why someone would do it -- as long as they prepared to accept the consequences).

But in the case of Comey, they were unclassified memos, produced by himself, in order to immediately document conversations with the president that he thought demonstrated unscrupulous behavior on the part of the president. Recounting your own experiences publicly is not "leaking." Was it "leaking" when Trump immediately went to twitter and did interviews (for example, with Lester Holt) in which he gave his version of those things?

The fact that his lawyers and him would now try to take this approach, and that people might be fooled by it, suggests that they think that ANYTHING Trump does needs to remain private -- anything shitty, anything illegal, anything false. When did we become a third-world dictatorship?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.