1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Oh boy. I think that's enough for tonight. YF, there are myriad reasons for this administration to be under investigation. As much as you don't want this to be happening, it is. And it's gone to take many months. Maybe a year. Buckle up. Gonna be a long ride.

All the stuff discussed today, in the end, is window dressing.

It's Mueller that matters. That's when the real story will be told.

He's methodical. It's gonna be the an anal probe for this administration.

You don't think there should be an investigation. Fine. There are a lot of elected officials, from both sides of the aisle, who disagree with you. And they have the voices that matter. That's why there's a special prosecutor.

Those are the facts, no matter what spin you try to put on it.

HanSenSE and bigpern23 like this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to lie down after I put away the lye and listen to "Lay, Lady, Lay."

doctorquant likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hacking isn't a crime? Lying on background checks about payments from foreign governments and meetings with representatives of foreign governments?

And Prof. Tribe disputes Dershowitz's interpretation you're hanging onto. So it's not a settled theory ...

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

OK, one more thing. This is BS. You would NEVER take the side of Hillary Clinton in any matter, no matter how unjust it might be to her. So that's laughable.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I got the point. Your story changes depending on the party of the person in question.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Posting from ignorance again. What a liar.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

His claim regarding Comey wasn't an error. It was a lie.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Credit where it's due, at least you provide a link (two even!).

So you don't see anything that is worthy of investigation by either the media or anyone else? Nothing at all? Everything is hunky dory?

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Don't forget to tune in to the Pandora "Lyre" channel ...

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sure. But, there's currently no evidence -- and we've hear this from the intelligence officials who've seen the information, and from politicians who've received classified briefings -- of any collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russians.

And, we're not even sure that would be a crime.

Trump was't personally under investigation, let alone accused of a crime.

If anyone gets prosecuted out of this investigation, it's going to be for things completely unrelated to the campaign. For instance, maybe Flynn gets prosecuted for not reporting the income for attending the RT dinner, or for his work/payments on behalf of Turkey, or maybe Manafort is prosecuted for some financial issues.

And, according to Comey's own testimony, the president could have simply ordered Comey to drop the Flynn investigation -- which he didn't do -- and he can fire the FBI director for any reason. There's no way his firing of Comey constitutes obstruction of justice, either as the basis for a criminal prosecution, or for articles of impeachment.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In his testimony former FBI director James Comey echoed a view that I alone have been expressing for several weeks, and that has been attacked by nearly every Democratic pundit.

Comey confirmed that under our Constitution, the president has the authority to direct the FBI to stop investigating any individual.
    I paraphrase, because the transcript is not yet available: the president can, in theory, decide who to investigate, who to stop investigating, who to prosecute and who not to prosecute. The president is the head of the unified executive branch of government, and the Justice Department and the FBI work under him and he may order them to do what he wishes.

As a matter of law, Comey is 100 percent correct. As I have long argued, and as Comey confirmed in his written statement, our history shows that many presidents—from Adams to Jefferson, to Lincoln, to Roosevelt, to Kennedy, to Bush 1, and to Obama – have directed the Justice Department with regard to ongoing investigations. The history is clear, the precedents are clear, the constitutional structure is clear, and common sense is clear.

Yet virtually every Democratic pundit, in their haste to “get” President Trump, has willfully ignored these realities. In doing so they have endangered our civil liberties and constitutional rights.

Now that even former Director Comey has acknowledged that the Constitution would permit the president to direct the Justice Department and the FBI in this matter, let us put the issue of obstruction of justice behind us once and for all and focus on the political, moral, and other non-criminal aspects of President Trump’s conduct.

Dershowitz: Comey confirms that I'm right - and all the Democratic commentators are wrong

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.