1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best game shows of all time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"The Dating Game" was an interesting watch during puberty in the late 1980s. I remember Jeff MacGregor was the host.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Don't forget George Carlin's "Divorce Game."

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Would love to see "Deal or No Deal" make a comeback.

[​IMG]

Vombatus likes this.
  4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Answers the question, "Where da white women at?"

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Strong list for the most part, although I'd agree that Joker's Wild belongs there. And it might not qualify as a true game show, but I always liked College Bowl back in the day. Don't remember the name of the host, but I do recall he even looked like a college professor.

Agree with Jeopardy as No. 1, and I even remember the original host, Art Fleming (with Don Pardo as the off-camera voice of the program). After leaving Jeopardy, Fleming worked for many years as a talk-radio host with KMOX in St. Louis (and was pretty good at it).

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

We wuz robbed! ... :mad:

HanSenSE, qtlaw and MTM like this.
  7. Riptide

dixiehack, Vombatus, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Other than the models, I wasn't a big fan. There was no skill involved in the game and it was one of the prime time game shows of the era that stretched out about 10 minutes of play over an hour.

Too many "let's talk this out," "after the break" and fake drama

poindexter likes this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was just about to say this. The game itself was compelling.

But they kept up too much contrived shit, such as "he wants to earn money so he can do a search for his long- lost mother; but we have a surprise for you ... right after this break," followed by the guy screwing up the briefcases, only to meet his long-lost Mom in the studio.

It turned me off.

All in all, though, it was a good list, although I liked Sale of the Century. There's nothing on there that I would replace it with.

10. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I agree that Name That Time should be on the list.

Also was a huge fan of Remote Control, but know it's not too 25

Wasn't there a game show where the contestants bet on the celebrites being able to come up with the answers?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Liberals starved for small victories these days can puff their chests out a bit about left-wing voice Jeff MacGregor's "Dating Game" made the cut while Donald J. Trump's "Apprentice" franchise did not.

Hey, Donald: You're fired!

12. Riptide

I'm torn between "4:20" and "Well, it's 5:00 somewhere ... "

Draft saved Draft deleted