1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

He's Donald Fucking Trump, President of these United States of America, and he will damn well do whatever the hell he pleases.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's the third surrogate who has floated it in the last week. Which means he definitely wants to.

He will never be constrained by anything that isn't the explicit letter of the law, which is problematic in a system designed to leave as much unsaid as possible.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And he knows he can do it, too. Unless 30 members of the House and 19 in the Senate suddenly grow spines and vote against him, he can terminate every investigation into his wrongdoing without consequence.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just got a chance to watch the video, and I pulled up the whole video, posted here by the White House:

His cabinet members certainly do praise him, but nowhere does Trump ask them to praise him as @Michael_ Gee stated, and which is what I suspected.

He says he's going to go around the room and asks everyone to say something, but he doesn't say to praise him.

It looks no different than any number of staff meetings I've been in, where each participant gives a quick progress report on what they've been working on.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I would counter your idiocy, but instead I'll put this bag of nails up my nose until I sneeze them out of my eye holes.

melock, HanSenSE and Riptide like this.
  6. YankeeFan

He never -- explicitly, or unexplicitly -- asked to be praised:

One by one, they praised President Trump, taking turns complimenting his integrity, his message, his strength, his policies. Their leader sat smiling, nodding his approval.

“The greatest privilege of my life is to serve as vice president to the president who’s keeping his word to the American people,” said Mike Pence, starting things off.

“I am privileged to be here — deeply honored — and I want to thank you for your commitment to the American workers,” said Alexander Acosta, the secretary of labor.

Sonny Perdue, the agriculture secretary, had just returned from Mississippi and had a message to deliver. “They love you there,” he offered, grinning across the antique table at Mr. Trump.

Reince Priebus, the chief of staff whose job insecurity has been the subject of endless speculation, outdid them all, telling the president — and the assembled news cameras — “We thank you for the opportunity and the blessing to serve your agenda.”

So it went on Monday in the Cabinet Room of the White House, as Mr. Trump transformed a routine meeting of senior members of his government into a mood-boosting, ego-stroking display of support for himself and his agenda. While the president never explicitly asked to be praised, Mr. Pence set the worshipful tone, and Mr. Trump made it clear he liked what he heard.

“Thank you, Mick,” he told Mick Mulvaney, his budget director. “Good job,” he told Scott Pruitt, his E.P.A. chief. “Very good, Daniel,” he said to Dan Coats, the director of national intelligence.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/12/us/politics/trump-boasts-of-record-setting-pace-of-activity.html

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So NewsMAX head Chris Ruddy, a friend of Trump, says Trump is considering firing Mueller. We are getting ever closer to a situation that cannot be resolved without bloodshed.

8. typefitter

You guys are completely fucked.

9. YankeeFan

Look, laugh all you want, but @Michael_ Gee made a claim that was false.

Words matter. Trump did not ask to be praised.

And, so, as often happens, instead of mocking/criticizing something that did happen, you're mocking something that was made up, and when that's pointed out, folks want to further mock those who would "defend" Trump.

10. typefitter

You're right. I sure will.

11. YankeeFan

I think he's considering perhaps terminating the special counsel.

The PBS NewsHour took two stabs at this in their tweets. In the second one, they got it right.

He goes on to indicate that he thinks this based on what he heard Trump's attorney say publicly, and not based on any direct knowledge of the situation.

So, we have Chris Ruddy, telling us what he thinks the President is perhaps considering.

And, from that, we've gotten blaring headlines, and Gee predicting bloodshed.

It's insane. You guys just keep doing this.

12. YankeeFan

Then you're a fool.

I thought you knew better, but then again, you were never much bothered by someone who didn't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

QYFW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.