1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Get off your fuckin' cross, QBALL.
    Your reality isn't morally superior to anyone else's reality.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

No, I used to care, and that's why I did spend so long being miserable. It took me too long, but I finally realized that it doesn't matter. Mars has two moons, you know. Right now, they're out there. Phobos and Deimos. Think about that. In my head, they make a sound when they travel through space, but in reality they don't. They just go around and around, the way they have for millions of years and the way they will for millions more.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If true, I'm honestly happy for you, all political differences aside.

Best of luck, and enjoy allowing yourself to be happy.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Oh, no, it certainly is.

Riptide likes this.
  5. typefitter

Oh, it's true, and thank you.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Your anthropocentrism -- nay, chauvinism -- is appalling. Just 'cause you can't hear 'em you assume no other entity can. Tsk, tsk ...

Sounds from a Saturn Aurora

7. typefitter

Now this is the start of an interesting debate.

You're talking about an Aurora, albeit one on Saturn. Our own Aurora Borealis hisses and howls, and some people claim to have heard it, although when I've seen it, I did not hear anything but my sniffing, because it was quite cold out.

But a moon, traveling through space, the vacuum of... I just assumed it wouldn't make a noise. (In my head, it roars a little as it moves, kind of like the ocean.) For instance, if an astronaut takes a hammer outside the space station, and hits something with it, it makes no sound.

Yet the sound of the Aurora passes through space.

Time to hit another bowl.

8. YankeeFan

Nooooo!!

FileNotFound and dixiehack like this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Celestial bodies doing their thing -- even if that's just grooving through the space-time continuum -- give off electromagnetic vibrations that are akin to sound waves. There are some sites/links in which they've been "translated" into our sound. Some of these sites are, shall we say ... interesting. But the basic science is sound. Least as far as I can tell.

10. YankeeFan

Chris Ruddy tells us what he thinks the president might be considering, and Washington DC goes crazy, despite the fact that Ruddy hasn't discussed the issue with the president.

How reliable Ruddy's comments are is open to question. He is often described as a close friend of Trump's, and reporters spotted him leaving the White House on Monday. But a source familiar with the visit told NBC News that any meeting Ruddy was to have had with the president was postponed.

11. YankeeFan

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is like the surrogate on one of the Sunday shows who "didn't rule out" the possibility. That became the takeaway. Never mind that he said, essentially, "The president can do what he wants, but I don't think that's going to happen."

I'm curious if it would have gotten the same play if he had reversed his syntax to begin his quote with, "I don't think it's going to happen, but the president can do what he wants." My hunch is the story would have still been overplayed, but maybe not as much as it was. If you put the "I don't think it's gonna happen" as the first phrase in the sound bite and if he riffs on that for a couple of additional sentences, it's slightly different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.