1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Weren't gausman and bundy big time draft picks and prospects?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think you can build around those two, Bundy specifically. He seems to have really hit a groove this season, save for a rough patch here or there. He's consistently pitching deep into games, which was a concern after the TJ surgery.

Gausman, not ready to give up on, but I had hoped to see a little more by now. He's 26 and in the last year of his contract, and he's got a career 4.31 ERA and a 1.35 WHIP. Don't know if you sign him and hope.

The rest of it? There's something seriously wrong with Tillman's mechanics, and he's never been more than a No. 3 anyway. Wade Miley has pitched above his head this year, and everyone needs to stop waiting for Ubaldo to recreate his one magical year in Colorado. Guy's had a sub-4 ERA once since his glory year in '10.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Rizzo hits leadoff for the first time and smashes the second pitch of the game very very far to center. That was Judgean.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I am watching Jon Lester pitch right now. @outofplace thinks I am hypocritical for not being oh-so concerned about his xFIP soaring from 3.47 to 3.73.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Who's the last player to have a Golden Sombrero and Grand Slam in the same game?

Ian Happ just joined the club. Or did he start it?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Funny how Dickie the troll ducks this topic every time Lester gets lit up, but jumps in when he pitches well.

Lester's ERA is still 3.89, well over a run higher than last season and nearly a run higher than Arrieta's was at any point in 2016.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because of poor defense and luck. (Good last year and bad this year.)

You've been pounding the Lester drum for weeks, proclaiming it my obligation to express concern. I'm not concerned. lol and behold, he came out throwing BBs tonight.

Nice work, Branch Rickey.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So now Dickie's back to picking whatever sample size fits his argument, exactly as he did during the Arrieta argument last year. Lester has been inconsistent at best this season, with numbers well below last year. Of course, it is luck when that happens to Lester this year, but it wasn't luck at all with Arrieta last year because...reasons....

All this because Dickie doesn't like being called out on his trolling.,

Bottom line, Arrieta's performance dropped last year from 2015, but he was still quite good overall. He was far better than Dickie made him out to be, so he decided to drag the argument into another season even though I never posted one way or the other about 2017 in that discussion.

The red flags are just as clear this year with Lester. Even with the gem tonight his numbers are still far worse than Arrieta's at any point last season and he is old enough that it could be a legitimate decline.

Now, wanna go back to another of your fun little threads and toss some more dirt on McCutchen now that he is raking?

cjericho likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow, another mic drop. Watch your feet!

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OOP is the kind of person who would execute a perfect mic drop ... then 10 seconds later would come back and say "Oh yeah, and one more thing!"

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Your .500 Texas Rangers are at .500 again. They are -1.5 of the second wild card and got the bullpen sorted out finally, which means they can hold off on fire-saleing Darvish, Beltre and Lucroy for now.

12. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

His employer should not be in the business of investigating anything, this is liberal, feminist PC bullshit that non-coincidently primarily affects darker skinned athletic entertainers. Sports leagues and colleges are not law enforcement; they should treat their employees as teammates and family absent something other than a gossipy social media post.

Draft saved Draft deleted