1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh were blamed by partisan hacks in the leftist media.

I am certain that their counterparts in the right-wing media will stay mum on this one.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

As a white, middle-aged, generally disgruntled man, I denounce the actions of this shooter.

But I also feel compelled to remind folks that only a small percentage of white, middle-aged, generally disgruntled men, actually attack in this sort of manner.

britwrit likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, the other people who sold units in the same building, were also developers, who market the units to international buyers?

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Maybe. Maybe not. Point?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I have no idea if he was mentally ill and neither do you.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think a case can be made that any mass shooter is mentally ill - regardless of other motives.

service_gamer likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

I asked about other developers.

The developer makes the initial sale of each unit. It's much more likely that the developer will sell the unit to investors, including foreign investors. That's who they market to, and who they have established relationships with.

And individual seller of a unit does't have that kind of sales operation.

USA Today didn't compare the Trump sales to other developer's sales.

9. YankeeFan

Who? Giffords' shooter, or this guy.

We know Giffords' shooter is/was ill.

You called this guy a nutjob. That sounds like you were indicting mental illness -- in an unsympathetic way.

10. dixiehack

So if USA Today dug all this up and didn't write anything about it, what would the reaction from the right wing if it came out later they didn't publish facts that were neutral-to-mildly-exculpatory of Trump?

Biased liberal media burying the story! Trump's a successful businessman and these deals look clean, but of course "they" would never admit to anything that could show that!

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

First, you don't know that, and neither do I.

Secondly, how many of those units do you believe were sold by individual sellers and not realtors or developers? Realtors, particularly the ones who sell these kinds of properties, absolutely market properties to and have established relationships with investors, including international investors. I'd bet the number of units sold by realtors or developers is damn close to 100 percent.

USA Today's comparison - similar units in the same buildings over the same time period - is about as rock solid as it gets. And even if you want to build in some margin for error, 70 percent of sales to LLCs is such a drastically higher number of units sold to LLCs by others (including the President himself before he was nominated by the GOP), that it's certainly out of the ordinary and worthy of scrutiny.

And I'm positive if USA Today had compared the percentage of sales to LLCs by other developers of units in other buildings, you would have said it wasn't a valid comparison because the units weren't in the same building.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  12. dixiehack

Fair enough. But a pejorative typed in the heat of the moment is not a substitute for a formal diagnosis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.