1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

On one hand, I suppose it's nice to see politicians generally acting like adults for a change. On the other hand, they'd never "come together" if this was a non-Congressional baseball practice. Or non-Congressional anything. Just shows how self-absorbed Washington is.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That USA Today story reminds me of the one they did a few years ago about military generals taking high-paying jobs with Defense contractors after they retire. Well, no shit. They retire from the military in their 50s and continue working using expertise that only a few people in the world have? Get out of town!

That being said, it illustrates the importance of the President of the United States completely and definitively removing himself from his business ties. There are enough people trying to buy influence with the federal government that we shouldn't make it easier for people to do so while also hiding their identities.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That is still a thing. It keeps the dialogue going. And no one locks the editorial page. :)

HanSenSE and bigpern23 like this.
  5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

In a few years the entire fucking paper will be locked, and the lights turned off.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I think this is a bad case. One that hurts our overall understanding of why a thing happened. If we write a thing off as "it happened because the dude is mentally ill" when he has no identifiable mental illness, I think that just hurts our understanding of something like this.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm all for digging into every possible factor. But I will still think mental illness played a role in every mass shooting. Sane people don't shoot up a baseball practice, co-workers, an elementary school, etc.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, in a few days, it'll be back to what passes for normal in the Beltway.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

How do we know this? It's abhorrent. But I think saying "sane people don't do abhorrent things" is assuredly wrong. And conflating abhorrent actions with mental illness drives the conversation/logical solutions in the wrong direction.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think it's either/or. It's a big jigsaw puzzle of things that leads people to commit acts like this. I think mental illness - in some form - plays a role. If I'm proven wrong, that's great. But I'll continue to believe it's one of the factors at play until then.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

The one commonality to every shooting is a gun with bullets in it being pointed at someone and then fired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.