1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Now can you go through the whole roster.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The red flags are age and the mileage on his arm. Not every pitcher is going to start to decline at 33, but it is possible, especially with 200-plus innings eight of the last nine seasons. I already explained this before, but you either don't bother to read or ignore anything that doesn't fit your point of view.

Nice to see you finally put some real analysis into something other than rambling about Arrieta. Makes me feel better about my fantasy team, which has Lester as a member.

I never said Lester was definitely in decline, either. I just said it was worth considering and there were just as many signs of trouble with him this year as there were at this point last year with Arrieta, if not more.

But hey, JC will continue to unquestioningly back your play if you argue with me, so go for it if you like.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Except his performance has been fine and in line with his career average. I was obligated to post about the "age and mileage on his arm"?

Yeah?

Name them.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Similar thing

Last week, the Angels' Eric Young Jr. was on second base and was behind Joe West. Angels announcers Victor Rojas and Mark Gubicza were talking about how they couldn't even see Young. Gubbie said you can ask the umpire to move. Then Rojas said, yeah, usually, but it's Joe West, so maybe not in this case.

Last night, the Angels were playing the Yankees and those two were all over plate umpire Rob Drake. Players were complaining and at one point, Drake went to the Angels dugout and was talking sternly with Albert Pujols. Rojas said "Drake's strike zone is all over the place ... but it's all over the place for both teams." From about the fifth inning on (it went 11) they were commenting on the calls using the FoxTrax graphic. "Well, that was a strike, but it was the same pitch that was called a ball to the previous batter." There was no consistency.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Drafted today by the Nationals, pictured at right:

[​IMG]

We are so fucking old.

HanSenSE and bigpern23 like this.
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

27th round. Courtesy pick.

Doesn't make us any younger though.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Alex Avila was a 34th round courtesy pick and he's stuck around awhile.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dusty's son has already said he is going to college. The Nats knew before they drafted him that he wasn't going to sign.

Draft saved Draft deleted