1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The one in which you used terms such as "likely" as if they were fact. Yeah. bullshit. Honestly, it's not a badly-constructed argument at all, but the fact remains Lester is not as effective at preventing runs right now and the gap is far larger than you want it to be.

For example, FIP is a projection. ERA is not.

I do like those other statistics. They suggest he can turn it around the rest of the way. As I said earlier, I'm rooting for the guy for purely selfish reasons. But he still has to actually make that happen.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Wrong.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Da fuq you say?
    [​IMG]

lcjjdnh and RickStain like this.
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Helluva game in Anaheim tonight. Angels win, 7-5, over Yankees.
    Yankees scored 4 in the first. Angels nearly tied it, but Hicks leaped above the fence to rob Valbuena of a grand slam in the bottom of the first. If went for a sac fly.
    The Angels eventually tied it and took a 5-4 lead. The Yankees tied at, 5-5, in the sixth.
    Andrelton Simmons hit a two-run homer in the seventh.
    The game ended when Calhoun went up against the fence in right to catch Hicks' long drive. Fireworks are shoot, Angels do their handshake line.
    But Girardi challenges the call, that the ball grazed the fence before it reached Calhoun's mitt. The replays seems fairly clear that the ball landed high in the web of his glove and his glove banged the wall, but the umps said no, it's a double.
    And that brings up Judge. But they got him on a grounder to third.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Ball hit the wall

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Already has a baseball scholarship at Cal.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ball's to the wall.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Lester is giving up the same number of line drives, ground balls, and fly balls as last year. He's striking people out at the same rate. He's walking more people, but just barely. Why is ERA a better indicator of how he is pitching than FIP then?

More fundamental to this particular debate, your argument has been that since I expressed concern about Arrieta last year, I am obligated to also express concern about Lester. If you want to debate whether there is something wrong with Lester as a standalone topic, I'm cool with that. It's a legit topic. But st this point, you should drop the component that my position indicates I'm "trolling" by worrying about Arrieta and not Lester.

9. outofplace

FIP | FanGraphs Sabermetrics Library

"Fielding Independent Pitching (FIP) measures what a player’s ERA would look like over a given period of time if the pitcher were to have experienced league average results on balls in play and league average timing."

That projects what would have happened. ERA tells you what did happen. Neither is perfect, but to say a projection trumps a measure of what actually happened? Sorry. No.

10. outofplace

No, I shouldn't, because you are trolling by going on and on about Arrieta. Lester was just one piece of evidence, one issue with the Cubs that you were largely ignoring while posting over and over about Arrieta. That was always the point, not this narrow tangent about Lester that you are trying to use to avoid admitting you are trolling. I don't know why you bother. Everybody knows that you post some things on the site for the sole purpose of trolling.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When does the anal sex portion of the Arrieta-Lester debate begin?

Vombatus likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There is no "issue" with Lester. None.

Draft saved Draft deleted