1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No I don't. But I don't think he drove from Illinois, and hung around for three months to shoot Steve Scalise.

Trump was who set him off -- with the help of the false stories in the media, including the fantasies pushed by his favorite, Rachel Maddow.

I'd bet he read Louise Mensch with as much anticipation as @Neutral Corner.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Old and politically incorrect joke: "You know the definition of virgin in Alabama? That's a girl who can run faster than her uncle."

3. YankeeFan

Link?

(Hint: the Bible wasn't written in English, it's a translation.)

4. Neutral Corner

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

That's a great question, and one that might poke some holes in my personal philosophy.

I'll start with my belief that our "gun culture" isn't really affected one way or the other by the Second Amendment.

I don't have a problem with people owning guns. I do have a problem with the ready availability of certain types of guns. I think that can be handled in ways other than repealing the Second Amendment, in much the same way access to Sudafed is controlled.

I guess I'm not really sure what problem repealing the Second Amendment would solve. And if the Second Amendment was repealed, I likely wouldn't be sad. I plead guilty to intellectual laziness on that one.

Hermes likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The rifles used in biathlon or the $15,000 skeet shotguns are not built with the primary (or even secondary purpose) of killing anything.

Perhaps you could say originally firearms were built as death-dealing instruments, but there are far too many sub-categories these days for your original statement to be accurate.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Neutral Corner

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

To me, it would have one invaluable benefit: It would reduce debates over gun ownership and usage restrictions into policy debates, without the Constitutional obstacle muddying things, as well.

amraeder likes this.
  10. FileNotFound

Another example of the duality of my thinking: I'm deeply opposed to Steve Scalise having been shot. I have no problem with the asshole from Belleville, Ill., having been shot as a result of his shooting Scalise. But I very much wish Step 1 of that hadn't happened.

11. YankeeFan

Constitutional obstacle.

You sound like Obama, complaining about the constitution.

12. FileNotFound

I'll buy that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.