1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Damn it. Stay out of my corners!

doctorquant likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's a difference between a medical procedure and a product. Also, there are taxes and taxes. Rates matter. A 1000 percent rate and a 10 percent rate are kind of different. A 10 percent tax on firearms would not be so onerous as to prevent anyone buying one if they absolutely felt they must. It'd just cause fewer sales of the "Oh my God, a black guy got elected President, I need to buy guns" variety.

3. YankeeFan

I'd guess with modern manufacturing, current guns are built to last longer than Revolutionary War muskets.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, one's a service and one's a product. Otherwise, not so much.

I'm not arguing for the tax ... but the idea that you could fiddle-dee-dee past the Second Amendment by simply levying a tax is silly.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

NYT still trying to get that terrible editorial right.

[​IMG]

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

From the '60's to the 90's, maybe a little after, it was very common to buy old WWII vintage German Mausers, put the actions into a nice new stock, and make a cheap and very nice rifle. That was a very good rifle and action, many were customized that way. Those are pretty much gone now, but you can buy a Russian Mosin-Nagant from the same era for a couple of hundred bucks. If you saw "Enemy at the Gates", the Jude Law Stalingrad movie about Russian sniper Vasily Zaitsev, that was the rifle he used. The ones being bought now in some cases are pre-WWI rifles. They began manufacturing them in 1891.

With reasonable care a modern gun will last a loooooooong time.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, every time you turn around people are going on about how much better made products are in 2017 than in eras past.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

We're also in a stage, technologically, in which other Constitutional protections conceivably become imperiled with gun control measures even if the Second were repealed. With very little effort I could build a CNC mill out of some old ink-jet parts and a Dremel hand grinder. With such it would be child's play to craft parts that make a semi-automatic weapon an automatic one. Is it to be illegal to share knowledge -- such as software, etc. -- that merely lead to certain weapons?

I'm no gun aficionado, but I think everyone's being far too optimistic about how easy or painless (vis-a-vis other protections) banning or severely restricting them would be.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

Why does his apology come across as insincere to me?

Who got this one right @three_bags_full?

10. YankeeFan

LOL. Come on!

11. YankeeFan

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We aren't too far from the day when 3D printers will allow people to manufacture firearms at home. Some are already doing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.