1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'll take this to mean you accept my premise. Bottom line is still the same. You are far more interested in trolling, which is the only way I got you to start posting about Lester as much as Arrieta.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You must be a big wins guy then.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How am I accepting your premise? I have illustrated in exacting detail why Jon Lester's underlying performance has not changed this year from last year and why I am not concerned about him.

5. outofplace

When you resort to moving the goalposts, I take that as accepting my premise and moving on. And you can talk about the detail all you want, but in terms of actual results on the field, Lester's performance has changed.

The larger point, the one you keep trying to run away from, still remains. Your interest is in posting things to start shit. That is why you came back from your vacation going on and on about Arrieta while so many other Cubs stumbled, too.

Also, if I was to take on your tactics, Lester doesn't even have to decline much this season for it to matter. If he falters next year, you're still wrong. That is exactly what you are pulling with Arrieta.

6. outofplace

Other than winning the argument, no, I'm not.

7. Dick Whitman

Why do you think Lester's "performance has changed"? What aspect of his performance this season particularly concerns you as compared to last year's?

I could tell you very specifically that Five-Inning Jake's home run rate has gone from 0.38/9 IP to .73/9 IP last year to 1.36/9 IP this year, a very alarming figure.

That said, his other peripherals are pretty steady, at least as compared to a year ago, if not better. Like Lester, he's been victimized by a pretty horrendous BABIP after benefiting from the Cubs' all-time great defense last season.

Last year, Five-Inning Jake's 3.10 ERA was not indicative of how poorly he pitched. This year, outside of the home runs, which aren't nothing, of course, he's actually pitching better than his sky-high ERA would indicate. I think he pitches today. We'll see what kind of five innings he turns in.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

What is it they say about April? You can't win the division, but you can lose it? The Royals are six games over .500 since May 1, but...

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How can you move the goalposts in a baseball argument?

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You can't, but it's clear Yankee Fan chose his team because it's easy to clear the fence on the right.

dixiehack likes this.
  11. outofplace

Yeah, who wants to consider how many earned runs a pitcher gives up when evaluating their performance, right? :rolleyes:

12. Dick Whitman

And now can you please answer my question?

Draft saved Draft deleted