1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best game shows of all time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Jun 12, 2017.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

He works (or worked) for the IRS. Pretty sure he'd be smart with the money.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Seems pretty easy for a $1,000,000 question.

Even if you had no recollection of Nixon's "Sock it to me?", knowledge of when the show aired should have been a giveaway.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

To me, that moment is like digging in against Clayton Kershaw with the count 3-and-2 and the bases loaded, expecting his very best pitch, and he throws you a batting practice fastball right in your wheelhouse.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I was posting based on childhood memory, but I just looked quickly and found this:

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What I going to see? I'm supposed to watch 20 minutes to see somebody say 'shit' ot TV?

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also: Coca-Cola Classic?

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you recall, occasionally nervous or clumsy kids would miss the first bucket, followed by a second chance so they didn't go away empty handed.

My best friend swears he saw an episode one morning where a much older than usual boy got called on stage to play. Apparently the kid felt like he was too good for the proceedings, got a little cocky and tossed his first ball too hard, to the point it bounced out of Bucket No. 1. Immediately, Cooky the Clown declared "Aww, too bad" and bum rushed him off the stage before anyone could give him a pity do-over.

Bronco77 likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Anybody remember The Chamber?
    It was an interesting little show that was on Fox (of course) for three episodes back in 2002. Somehow, I think I managed to see all three. Contestants answered questions or something on a panel, and of the ones who answered right (maybe it was the fastest) one was selected to go into "The Chamber," which was basically a torture device.
    The contestant would then be subjected to either the "hot" (extreme heat, humidity and flames) or "cold" (extreme cold, wind and ice) and have to answer more questions. There were seven levels lasting a minute each, and the longer you lasted the more money you won. If you missed two questions in a row or your body passed certain physical conditions (they were hooked up to heart monitors and other devices to check for stress), the chamber shut down and the game was over.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Bozo's Circus had a years-long waiting list for tickets. Click Bozo's Circus on You Tube and there are actually full episodes from 1968 and 1977. I wonder if other episodes got erased, even though it was WGN. As I recall, Jeopardy! was on at noon Central time on WMAQ in Chicago and Bozo beat it in the ratings. At the time, Art Fleming's Jeopardy was one of the hottest daytime programs in the country.

I remember when I was young... and this might have been a Father's Day episode... the father played the Grand Prize Game and got the first four or five... then he missed one of the buckets. It was either Cookie or Bozo that pushed the game's buckets between the father's legs so he would easily get the last two buckets. The top prize was the Schwinn bike and something like $100. I thought it was hilarious.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Supermarket Sweep (the US version) was classic. I dropped it with my friends, who are much younger than me, and they looked at me like I had grown two heads. I remember when it was paired on PAX TV with Shop Til You Drop (which my cousin actually worked on in the set design crew).

Quintessential 90s.

My parents and I were watching the night John Carpenter was the first million winner on Millionaire. When he called his dad, we were like "holy shit." It was the kind of move that would have been epic if Twitter had been invented.

The new Millionaire format blows though. I'm like, this is so stupid that the difficulty and prize money is completely random.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

They stopped the random point value thing in the latest version.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Completely ruined it by having it on every night. You'd think maybe the NFL could take a lesson from that.

wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted