1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If Posey wasn't doing his commercials in catcher's gear, would the masses know who he is?

2. Songbird

Righties are 2 for 60 against Kimbrel.

3. Songbird

They show a stat that Rendon gets the second or third most pitches to the outer third of the strike zone. Marlins pitcher throws it over the plate. Rendon hits it very far into the gay flamingos.

He also looks like he's in a cartel, or the son of Edward James Olmos.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Well Headley didn't turn into a headcase, he just sucks. Somehow he had 31 hrs and 115 rbi in SD and he can't even hit 20 hrs in a much more hitter friendly park.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Probably true, and it makes the guy recognizable in one second which is a big thing for commercials, but it's always bothered me that athletes are always wearing their uniforms in ads no matter the situation.
    NASCAR drivers are wandering the Earth in their fire suits, including a lunch stop at Subway, in case a race breaks out.
    J.J. Watt going to the prom with some MILF isn't far-fetched, but going there in full football uniform is.
    Not sure of the ad you're referencing, but I'll venture a guess that Buster Posey is gardening in his catcher's gear or something, with absolutely no explanation as to why.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Jet skiing, I believe.

7. bigpern23

Not to the Yankees.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I hate this line of thinking, if it gets them the most prospects who cares who you deal him to? Why would you take an inferior deal?

9. bigpern23

I got the sense that he was maybe a couple weeks away from a call-up, if that. After a slow start at Triple-A, he was batting .309 with an .863 OPS with Scranton, and had really caught fire over the past week (he was 9 for his last 18 before the injury). He would have been an immediate defensive upgrade over Headley and likely would have been better offensively almost immediately as well.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At the same time, would the Yankees want to offer any sort of great deal to a division rival?

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I just think you do what's best for your franchise at the time.

12. bigpern23

I'm not saying it's right, but it's reality.

I understand it to an extent, though. If you send him to a division rival, you're strengthening a team you have to face 19 times per year and making it more difficult to win the division. Taking Donaldson, for example, he has had a WAR around 7.5 over each of the past five years, while Headley has been around 1.5. That could be the difference between making the playoffs or not. If you ship Donaldson off to an NL team, or a non-division AL team, it may not affect you as much until the postseason or the World Series.

I mean, you look at it within reason, but I doubt the Jays would receive such a significantly better deal from the Yankees than one of the other teams that it would be worth it to trade him within the division.

Draft saved Draft deleted