1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. I don't really buy the "rules are rules" argument when it comes to something as frivolous as sports.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Can you expand on that? I don't quite follow what you mean.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What new rule?

4. RickStain

It's being countered by "I just don't like this, it's dumb."

I'm willing to examine whether the rule is counter to the goal of the sport, sure. This one doesn't seem to me to be a case of that. It's just people bitching because the rule never used to be enforced and now it is and things are bad if they are different than our childhood.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

New ruling would be a better way of putting it.

Three years ago, Swanson doesn't even attempt to tag Belt and the umpire doesn't attempt to figure out whether he is three inches off the base.

It's a farce.

6. RickStain

It always bugged me that they didn't enforce that rule, personally

7. Dick Whitman

You are responding to an imaginary post.

8. RickStain

I'm inferring from available information. Since no actual reason for not liking the rule has been given, that's my best guess as to the reason.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Awww. Poor Dickie isn't getting enough attention.

He is not. You are.

There. Feel better?

10. Dick Whitman

Arrieta's career is interesting.

I don't know how many more times I can say it.

I hate the stupid "T" word, but whatever. You're never going to lighten up.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Exactly.

I'm arguing sports are meaningless. Wonderfully meaningless. We can make them as fun as we want them to be. In sports, we can throw technicalities that are so important in real life in the garbage bin if we think they're dumb. If you can argue that watching Francisco Lindor being called out after he stole a base because his knee is a millimeter off the bag by a man sitting in a television booth in New York is entertaining, go at it. It's not. So make it so he can't be called out for sliding after he beat the throw.

12. Dick Whitman

Yeah, but, man, there are millions and millions and millions of dollars at stake. It's big business entertainment, and it's not to much to ask that, for the sake of the people investing their hard-earned time and money into watching, they play by the rules as written.

Draft saved Draft deleted