1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The first and third sentences of the graf provide the context to that sentence.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I have just the guy for you:

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I roll my eyes at Lena Dunham too, but I don't see why liberals are supposed to be more embarrassed by her than conservatives are by a Ted Nugent. I think she provides a convienent foil for people predisposed to hate Democrats.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I understand, but your distaste for "outside money" rests on a false premise: There is no such thing as "outside money" when we're talking about federal elections.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I have never, ever heard Lena Dunham mentioned in any liberal circle I run in.

The only time she ever appears on my radar is a conservative male bringing her up.

lakefront, SnarkShark, HC and 2 others like this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Not in a country where hot takes, cutting promos and overall shittalk is embraced. Having class is a polite way of being a pussy.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    dixiehack likes this.
  7. doctorquant

Yeah, but everybody knows you commies speak in code. "Essential health benefits" means the three As: abortion, aromatherapy and acupuncture ...

8. RickStain

But you're right in the gist: there's some issues that the liberal wing has overreached on relative to the culture on several issues that put it out if step with most people. The country is not ready for "my name is Rick, and I prefer masculine pronouns" as my twitter feed recommended I start introducing myself in all situations.

poindexter and YankeeFan like this.
  9. RickStain

Of course, many many Republican policies are also unpopular overall, but they get around it with a small number of unifying issues (abortion and tax cuts) and relying on a much more reliable voter base.

10. doctorquant

Your cis-normativism is gonna get you uninvited to all of those parties. And when you're having to pay for your own hummus, then you'll be sorry ...

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Has the percentage of outside money given to Senate and House races increased over the years? Or is it the same as 20 years ago?

And regardless of whether you think it's a false premise, I don't like role people outside the district play in Congressional elections. Maybe it's just more obvious these days. Maybe all the SuperPACs changed it. I don't know. But when candidates are getting most of their campaign funds from people outside the district they are going to represent, I think it's a bad look.

Tom Cotton, for example, won both his House and Senate seats thanks to massive spending by the Club for Growth. Now who is he going to listen to when he's in DC? The Arkies who voted for him or the thinktank that paid for his ticket into Congress?

12. RickStain

I'm smart enough to keep it to myself. I don't wanna know what happens to the cishet white guy who says "why don't we think about giving some ground on abortion"

doctorquant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.