1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I know Paul O'Neill, or knew him. He worked with my Dad at International Paper. Highly entertaining crusty old Eastern rich guy Republican.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's always fun when conservatives frame "Democrats want more people to vote to such a degree that the voters represent the demographics of the country" as an attack.

The reason y'all bristle at the privilege thing is because it's true. This is all about people who were used to being treated as special being mad that other people might be let in the club.

MisterCreosote likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If I'm poor, and I vote for X, and four years later I'm still poor, I'm voting for Y.

4. RickStain

Before Trump, name the last major election in that district that was decided by a mere +4.

Your talking points lied to you. It is a deep red district.

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

You're white, right? Aren't you trying to capitalize on your privilege?

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Is Rick running from his privilege or is he simply saying others should be able to enjoy the same advantages he's had as a white male? And you kind of prove his point about bristling by bristling that he brought it up.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

@JohnHammond is lampooning @RickStain's privilege bit because it's a stupid tautology rather than an informed argument ...

QYFW likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a deep red district when Dems don't compete. When they compete, against a non-incumbent, it's a +4 Republican district.

Most republican held seats in 2018 will be defended by incumbents. Dems won't have the resources to compete in even the "swing" districts to the degree they competed here.

There's no reason to believe that the swing in margin in the Georgia race will be repeated in other races, pushing unknown Dems over incumbent Republicans.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Perhaps. The way I read it is Rick saying there's a disparity between the group who has always had power vs the group who is recently started getting into seats of power. We supposedly live in a post racial society except we see one party trying real hard to stamp out voter fraud by implementing policies that don't seem to impact its base nearly as much as it impacts those who don't vote for that party. There is tangible evidence that women don't make as much as men and it isn't too much of a leap of logic to say white men are the beneficiaries of that system than other groups based on how many minorities are in executive positions. There are plenty of stories of the "driving while black" syndrome.

Saying white men enjoy a privilege in this country isn't an indictment of white men more an acknowledgment that white men have been in power for most of this country's history and there have been advantages as a result. The next step is to make sure the systems are adjusted so that it doesn't favor one race over another whether consciously or unconsciously. We just have to admit it's there and work toward changing it.

RickStain likes this.
  10. RickStain

So you surely can find an example of such?

11. RickStain

I don't have to "try." It's been conferred upon me since birth.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

South Carolina. Last night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.