1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait.”

(Very ambiguous phrasing by Trump here. The context was that he was talking about how he loves to kiss beautify women. "I don't even wait" could certainly mean that he kisses without affirmative or implied consent. It could be simple hyperbole to indicate how much he enjoys beautiful women. It could mean that he moves things quickly to kissing - with consent - without "wait[ing]" to lay the groundwork through small talk, etc.)

“And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.”

("[T]hey let you do it" is a strong indicator of consent received.)

“Whatever you want."

“Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything."

(Stated after, "[T]hey let you do it," which strongly indicates consent. And, certainly, the fact that this sentence takes place after "[T]hey let you do it" takes this out of the realm of established fact, and it should not be stated as such in journalistic pieces.)

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Believing "they let you do it" implies consent is where that analysis, Trump's life, and male culture in general goes very, very wrong.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This is totally the ONE instance in which Trump put that much thought into his actions or what he says.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Anybody over 68 should be removed from any position in the first nine slots of succession to the presidency.

You turn 68, you're done. Send the fossils off to the museum.

I want people making decisions about the fate of the world 20-30-40 years in the future to be around to face the consequences of their decisions.

Fucko's decisions are going to fuck up the world of 2040, 2050, etc etc, in a bigly way. What does he fuckin care, he'll be dead in 10-15 years.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  5. Dick Whitman

The context here, though, is that journalists write it as established fact that he "bragged about committing sexual assault." The phrase is at least interpretable as indicating consent. (i.e. "My girlfriend let me put it in her ass!") It's a colloquialism.

The context is also that after Trump said that he "doesn't even wait" to kiss women, he says that "they let you do it." He's inarticulate, but it seems likely or at least possible that he was clarifying his prior statement to indicate that he is not talking about doing these things without consent.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

7. RickStain

It's only interpretable that way to someone who doesn't understand, or wants to intentionally obfuscate, power dynamics.

I believe that *he* thinks women who don't bother to complain because he's a powerful man and nothing will come of it is the same as consent.

8. Starman

Ahhhhh yes, more "explanations" of the perverted slobbering of this fucking pig.

I'm just joking when I talk about grabbing pussy!!

I'm just joking when I talk about fucking 10-year olds!!

I'm just joking when I talk about fucking the Pretty Princess!!

[​IMG]

9. Dick Whitman

This may be true. There is even a 51 percent or better chance that it is true.

But it is not an established fact that he "bragged about committing sexual assault" to the point that you can state it that way in a work of journalism.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Starman

It certainly has been established beyond any doubt whatsoever -- 100.0000 percent -- in the real world where adults live.

11. RickStain

It's 100 percent true. It's established fact.

It's arguable whether he thinks what he was bragging about was assault. Not whether it is or it.

You want to pull back the curtain of context exactly the right amount to muddy the issue and no further, when pulling it all the way back leaves the picture perfectly clear.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So it sounds like his remarks to the first lady of France were step one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.