1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'll tell you what he is: He's the POTUS who campaigned on "repeal and replace" and the president who was going to be working too hard to take vacations or play golf. As repeal and replace burned, the emperor, uh, fiddled. Further, did he offer any ideas on insight on how the replacement should look beyond 140 characters? This is the man who believes in the art of the deal? And now repeal, without a replacement? He sounds as inspiring as a high school football coach encouraging his team to "win the fourth quarter" as they're getting mercied. [/soapbox].

Baron Scicluna and heyabbott like this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No it wasn't. It's why you took the sentence fragment out of context just now, rather than quoting the whole thing. What I wrote:

"It's why the war on poverty, the war on drugs, government takeover of our healthcare markets has made those problems huge. ... which the bureaucracies then use as justification to become even bigger and even more bureaucratic. That is the nature of a bureaucracy, which is the enemy of a democracy and freedom. Once they become entrenched, those bureaucracies use crisis (or perceived crisis) to increase their power and control and to grow bigger. It justifies their existence."

Either way, what you came up from that was a cartoonish distortion. I didn't say they were hellbent on taking away my freedoms because of their egos. ... Which was your summary of what I just quoted.

Just so I am clear (as I think I was originally), the goals of government bureaucracies, by their nature, are at odds with democratic freedoms. They want to expand and grow more powerful. Experience has taught a lot of people this: they have no compunction about running over people's liberties to take that power and keep themselves essential.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No editing!?!

Oh my!

<Clutches pearls, reaches for fainting couch ...>

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That description of how bureaucracies operate sounds a lot like how capitalists operate.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"You're gonna have such great health care at a tiny fraction of the cost, and it’s going to be so easy." — Donald Trump, October 2016

melock and HanSenSE like this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So, sub "power" for "egos."

Yeah, that's totally different than what I said.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Obscure pop culture reference alert:

He reminds me of the basketball coach in the opening scene of Buffy The Vampire Slayer: "Are you with me? Great! Now, go out there and score some ... uh ... points!"

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't imagine what you have in mind.

A capitalist invests in industry in an attempt to profit by supplying things to others who demand them. There is a built in accountability. If you invest in something for which there is not enough demand, or you fail to supply the demand you are trying to, you risk losing your investment.

A bureaucracy is a entity in which important decisions are made by state officials rather than by elected representatives. They are marked by a lack of accountability. They are often designed ostensibly to deal with a problem of some sort. ... and make that problem worse, because their real motivation is to grow their own power and ensure the bureaucracy's survival.

The two have little to do with each other really. So you are forcing something. But in the case of the capitalist, if they fail they lose something -- their investment. In the case of the bureaucracy, failure is often the true motivation, because it ensures the power of the bureaucracy. It's like the arsonist who starts the fire and each time rides in on the fire truck to put it out. All the time, arguing that we need more fire trucks.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sounds precisely like how the most successful capitalist operate.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Here's what Americans want from their health insurance:

1. Quality
    B. Low Cost
    3. Covers everyone (including those with preexisting conditions).

You can only get two of those three. You pick. Combining all three is impossible without massive government subsidies.

And, ObamaCare makes it impossible for insurers to sell certain kinds of policies. Young, relatively healthy individuals should be able to buy low cost, catastrophic insurance. That's not allowed currently.

To say that we need those people buying more expensive insurance, that they don't need, to cover older, sicker individuals shows that we're not really talking about insurance.

Insurance is a financial product, not a health care product. The current law distorts the market beyond all recognition.

Forcing young people, who already have student loans, and face an expensive housing market, and an economy that is growing slowly, with little gains in income, is not fair.

The current generation is going to live in their parents' basement until they're 40. (And then they'll rent, having finally paid off their social science degree, while working in retail.)

QYFW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.