1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Prouder than ever of my senator. I've been voting for Jack Reed for 30 years, since he was my state senator, and respect the hell out of him, but as a writer and cast member in an annual show that's basically the Rhode Island version of SNL, he's frustrating because he never provides us any decent material - the few times we've mentioned him have usually involved B- and C-list short-guy jokes. Finally, he's given us something we can work with.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

AARP isn't happy about today's vote. It will be interesting to see how their members react.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No. I bathe more than once a month.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Golden showers don't count. Try again.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, I haven't been to Moscow lately.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think they would turn you away if you say, "Hey, I'll pay for this thing."
    My wife did not have insurance for our first year of marriage. She had a kidney stone, required a late-night ER visit, I told them, "Hey, I'll pay for it" and wrote a check (well, several) totaling about $6,000 over the ensuing weeks.

But guess what? Even WITH insurance, I'm still out the $4,000 deductible, $400 more (20%) that insurance wouldn't cover, PLUS the $3,300 I would have paid out in premiums. That's a total of $7,700 out of pocket. So not having insurance for her actually SAVED me money AND still provided us health care.

What part of "That sucks. It really does" did you not comprehend?

Asking people to be ACCURATE with regard to how many people will lose health CARE does not mean I'm "cool" with those who do. It's simply a plea not to overstate the problem, because constantly overstating things makes you seem like the boy who cried "Wolf!" and numbs people when there is REALLY a problem to address.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Come on, man ... people's lives are at stake here. And you're quibbling about accuracy?

YankeeFan and qtlaw like this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You didn't hear a peep about death panels?

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It was a clumsy rationalization. And, as dixiehack posted, the bankruptcies will be devastating, though of course not many people are talking about that yet. So it understates the enormity of screwing the masses to prop up the ultrarich.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Duh? When you gamble on not having insurance and a $6000 bill is the worst you get, you win.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This is true. I just know in my position I couldn't just say "Oh hey, I'll take care of it." I like the insurance because of the co-pay to reduce some of the cost as well as some lab work and other things that are free or reduced because I have insurance. I know my in laws used to just budget money to go toward health costs, but I'm just not making enough money to do that.

One of the best things my employer offered was a health savings account so what would have gone toward premiums actually goes into an account I can use for health costs so I see more of the money rather than just having it go into the ether. I know I'm getting screwed in some way shape or form under that plan, but for right now as a early 30-something with no kids and no major health issues, it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.