1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Newsstand sales have fallen off a cliff, especially the last few years. They sell very few of those $7.99 magazines, and the strategy for most magazines the last few years has been to try to deep discount subscriptions to try to keep the circulations up (for advertisers), using blowout cards in the magazines and direct mail campaigns offering 60, 70, 80 percent off the cover price. I don't know about the Atlantic Monthly specifically, but it is largely a strategy that isn't working. Subscriptions are down. And people by and large aren't buying those $8 newsstand magazines; overall sell through efficiency is way down for magazines and newsstand sales overall have been falling by decent-sized double digit numbers each of the last several years.

You'll notice there are fewer newsstands around than there were 20 years ago. Yeah, you'll find them in airports, where maybe they still get some sales. But to the extent they sell any newsstand copies it's gravy at this point. The costs they have to pay for the rack space is way down, too, which is probably why they still throw them out there. But they aren't counting on too many of those sales, and even if one blowout card in the magazine results in a subscription, the acquisition cost of that reader is probably way less than the direct mail it usually takes.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do we know what profit margins are for for-profit hospitals? Or the general cost difference between a for- and non-profit hospital?

3. Dick Whitman

Did magazines like The Atlantic and The New Yorker ever sell many single copies?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Growing up around New York City, newsstands were everywhere.

Once I moved out of new York, I discovered that not every city has newsstands like New York does. Has the number dropped dramatically in NYC as well?

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Obviously not representative, but being from Cleveland, first one I looked up was CC:

Starman likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

Regarding the cost of healthcare, specifically of hospitalization...

Seems to me, that there is a ton of waste, and redundancy in hospitals. There's a ton of monitoring and testing.

Now, all of this increases the care, and reduces the risk of things like infection.

But, we're paying a ton for this, and I have to wonder if the benefit is marginal.

But, does anyone here think that we'd settle for less? We want the very best, most expensive healthcare in the world, but we don't want to pay what that costs.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

When a bill goes from $48,000 to $21,000 because a government is negotiating instead of an individual, and then the hospital goes ahead and threatens the individual anyway, is your sarcasm really hitting the mark?

I think Brill wrote about this awhile back. People just don't see health care the way they do buying a car. There might be one hospital in town. They don't know they can negotiate and I've been in that position where nurses and doctors try to leverage how much you care about your own health as a way of having you agree to costly tests. (Knew I had acid reflux, they wanted me to take some heart tests, I said no, they threatened me with my own death)

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. There used to be some great newsstands and magazine storefronts in NYC, many of which are gone now. I have seen this number a lot over the last few years. At its peak in the 1950s, there were more than 1,500 newsstands in Manhattan. It's now down to less than 300. You don't see the variety of magazines that there used to be either. For the most part, the kiosks that still exist are selling lottery tickets and bags of chips and they fill out the space with niche publications (mainly hip-hop, hair style and naked lady magazines) that are focused on the newsstand sales and not trying to stick around by selling discounted subscriptions. It's a crappy business to be in.

10. Dick Whitman

I understand. I was reacting to the use of "profit" as a blanket pejorative.

And a lot of times, people aren't in position to negotiate at all, because it's an emergency situation.

I concede the point about hospitals and actually want to talk and learn more about it.

11. Dick Whitman

Hoo, boy.

12. YankeeFan

Isn't part of the problem that because insurance pays much/most of the cost, a discussion of cost never comes up?

If people were paying medical costs out of a health savings account, or even a government stipend for healthcare, someone might question why a six liters of sterile saltwater, which costs a dollar or less to manufacture, retails for hundreds of dollars.

How to Charge $546 for Six Liters of Saltwater

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.