1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes.

Just think of education costs, which are soaring because students receive loans that they have to actually pay back.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What's the best way to take attention off the health care debacle? Distract. Distract. Distract.

melock and HanSenSE like this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Let's stipulate two things before getting into a wider ranging discussion:

1. I'm the leading advocate for trans* rights and acceptance on this board.

2. Generals will fight agains the integration of African-Americans, women, homosexuals, and the transgendered into their fighting force. They just don't want to deal with the hassle, or the social issues. They want to concentrate on breaking things and killing people.

Having said that, is the integration of transgendered individuals different than previous examples of integration?

Is this just a clear cut case of discrimination, or should factors like medical costs and disruption be factored in when making such a decision?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But, aren't most colleges and universities set up as not for profits? Why would costs continue to rise?

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh for heaven's sake ... If "Profit bad!" is jumbo crayon-worthy, "People can't be expected to negotiate!" is in that vicinity.

Today people of modest, even severely challenged, economic circumstances enjoy comforts and conveniences not even imaginable to the richest people on Earth a mere 30, 40 years ago. And they do so without ever negotiating the first fucking price.

I could go on, but this guy says it as well as I ever could ...

lcjjdnh likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

My hunch is health care services would then bog down to the point where you had many more health options in place, some of which became discount lemon care services. Health insurance at least makes the process work more smoothly. It just pumps up the costs.

For example: I'm with you on college education. Get rid of the student loan racket. Make colleges compete for your dollar. Make colleges make their professors work much harder for their job by becoming much better teachers.

Again: Health is like nothing else. The hybrid system we have sucks. Single payer is simply the smartest way to do it.

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

With Trump, it's almost certainly discriminatory, and I'm wondering if the man will not be able to help himself and he'll refer to it as a mental illness - that they are in theory potentially unfit to serve.

And there will be many, many millions who agree with him.

I'll be curious to see how Dems and their cultural outgrowths on late night TV and social media play this one. This is where they tend to lose voters.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Shkreli thinks its fine.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Everybody wants the kind of health care that 18% of GDP pays for, but everybody also wants someone else to cough up that 18%.
    Spending a Lot on Health Care Is the American Way

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Costs have skyrocketed, because these aren't free markets. Student loans are guaranteed (since 2010, directly originated by) by the Federal government. Many are subsidized. It's the definition of moral hazard. Forget the monetary policy that has made it impossible for lenders to price the risk in an environment designed to create more and more debt (and student loan debt has exploded as a result -- we have well more than a trillion dollars of that debt now, which is acting as an anchor). It has created an open-ended subsidy with the Federal money spigot on full blast. That open-ended subsidy has enabled universities (many that wouldn't exist in a competitive environment) to keep hiking tuition and costs. In order for supply and demand to work, you need a relatively free market. The lending market only works efficiently when there is true price discovery. In the case of the things we're talking about (higher education being a biggie), we not only have hampered that competitive environment, over the last several decades we obliterated it.

FileNotFound likes this.
  12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.