1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

To quote DFW:

“The integrity of my sleep has been forever compromised, sir.”

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So if this violates their sincerely-held beliefs they should just shut up about it because politics? That smacks of a morality of convenience, which is not a term I ever thought I'd associate with you.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ah, yes.

For sure.

"Rolling Stone" sucks at politics.

I just wasn't sure if you were using it as representative of something bigger.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Offensive, isn't it?

You know who reads all the "millennials are killing X,Y,Z" stories that have suddenly become trendy?

Millennials.

Perpetual enlightenment and fact-checking the egos of Baby Boomers is a full time gig.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Another argument against for-profit healthcare is the question whether you are receiving treatment because it's the right treatment, or because it is driving profit (or, alternatively, reducing costs). Nothing like a couple of unnecessary tests to drive up your bill.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They don't have to shut up about it, and I don't expect them to do so.

It becomes a question, of course, of winning elections, and if they wanna win any at the local, state and Congressional level over the next 20 years. The culture war stuff is far more offensive to many Americans than many liberal progressives appreciate. It's part of how we got here.

I, for example, wouldn't budge on abortion. But I have no issue with gay marriage or anti-discrimination laws. Many of my friends do.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I cannot fathom that more millennials care about transgender rights in the military than they do healthcare costs.

QYFW, Neutral Corner and YankeeFan like this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm really ignorant on the whole transgender thing. I admit this. Here are some questions:
    Is transgender surgery considered an elective procedure ? Is it covered by standard insurance? Do military personnel have elective procedures covered under all circumstances?
    These are questions that might shed light on whether transgender people create extra costs.

If there are such costs, how extensive are they?
    Or is this a matter of playing to the base?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm not linking the article because it doesn't really break any new ground, but I love this AP lede following up on the backlash.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sheesh, you should stop talking about health care policy because you have absolutely no fucking clue what you're talking about.

On very rarely does an employee of a hospital -- for-profit or not -- decide on a patient's treatment.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if that's exactly the right way to think about the question, though.

More might care about health care costs, in a vacuum.

But more are probably energized politically by transgender rights. It's easy to understand and it's a black and white moral issue to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.